Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bars Leaks
johnH20

posted on 20/5/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Bars Leaks

I have discovered my radiator has a minor leak, barely visible. I know this will mean a replacement rad at some time but I would rather put that off till the winter. In the 'old days' there was something called Bars Leaks that I remember using on an old Ford Anglia. Does this still exist and more importantly will it compromise the rest of my cooling system in any way?
johnH20

posted on 20/5/18 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Sort of answered my own question ( Google is your friend ). Yes it is available but some horror videos on Utube so I will not be using it. BE WARNED!
steve m

posted on 20/5/18 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Pour a raw egg in the filler does exactly the same thing

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 20/5/18 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
John

Use K seal, it's not destructive in terms of blocking waterways etc. like Bars is, & has an excellent reputation - the AA carry it as a roadside repair I believe!

Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
johnH20

posted on 20/5/18 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ. I will give K Seal a try. By the way are you reading LB in Vietnam or are you back from your hols?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 20/5/18 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Plus one for k seal
russbost

posted on 20/5/18 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
Thanks Russ. I will give K Seal a try. By the way are you reading LB in Vietnam or are you back from your hols?

I'm back!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

posted on 21/5/18 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't use any of those snake oils. We'll be cracking eggs into brake fluid reservoirs next.

I've just bought a rad for an MX5. £49 inc p&p. Why mess about?

Angel Acevedo

posted on 21/5/18 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Where´s the leak...
In the old days you would strip a tube of its cooling fins and cut the tube near the leak (or at the leak) and fold it a couple of times with a needle nose plier.
Don´t know if it works with ali rads.
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 22/5/18 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure where you are but http://www.sheldrakeandwells.co.uk/
in ipswich have repaired and modified rads for me in the past.

Keith
Aviemore

SPYDER

posted on 22/5/18 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Pour a raw egg in the filler does exactly the same thing

steve

Soon to feature in Heston Blumenthal's new book, " Roadside Cooking".

Page 7.

"Eggs a la Locost"

Cost to make, £250 of course!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.