Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Cleaning
myke pocock

posted on 30/8/18 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Cleaning

I need to thoroughly clean the alloy block of my Skoda Estelle engine. The steel liners will be removed for total access. What is the recommended way that I can do this at home (so no access to steam cleaning etc) It is well caked with black oil deposits that will take some shifting. Have tried the new fangled Gunk which is CR*P. White spirits will shift it but not easily. Should I try old fashioned Gunk or is there something else and better?
jps

posted on 30/8/18 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I recently used Cillit Bang to clean my Pinto, worked fairly well. I also used a cheap degreaser recommended by my local motor factors. I think it was Simoniz
big_wasa

posted on 30/8/18 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I finished redoing one of my zetecs last night. I used some cheap wood chisels to scrape it and a selection of wire wheels to buff it. Not a great job but I got there in the end.
cliftyhanger

posted on 30/8/18 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
It may be worth having a word with your local engine machine shop. They will probably have a suitable washer, and the charge may well be very reasonable (especially if they are doing any of the machining)
perksy

posted on 30/8/18 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fairy Power spray, Cheap Oven cleaner or COMMA Hyper clean
rusty nuts

posted on 30/8/18 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Your local machine shop will make a far better job for probably not a lot more than you would spend on degreasers etc . Get a quote?
nick205

posted on 31/8/18 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Your local machine shop will make a far better job for probably not a lot more than you would spend on degreasers etc . Get a quote?

Ditto!

A local machine shop or engine builder will have access to better cleaning methods and probably won't charge that much. Worth a few phone calls first to get some prices.

joneh

posted on 31/8/18 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
My local engine builder charged £20 to dip my xflow block. Saves making a mess on the drive...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.