Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: obp universal pedal box
craigdiver

posted on 3/10/18 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
obp universal pedal box

Hi, I have the obp universal pedal box (OBPKC001) for my Haynes Roadster. I have it installed however I have been told me it is not installed right and will fail IVA. Issues is with the brake bias pedal. I have added locknuts supplied but have been told I need to add spacers to allow the balance bar to pivot and need more thread for the BUT the left hand nyloc nut already has not got sufficient thread to be acceptable without adding a spacer. This is with the balance bar centred in the brake pedal.

Anyone any ideas? or faced similiar problem?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 3/10/18 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah CBS do spacer tubes to tighten the lock nut onto, made of copper IIRC. I'll get you some pics of mine as it passed if you like?
craigdiver

posted on 3/10/18 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Yeah CBS do spacer tubes to tighten the lock nut onto, made of copper IIRC. I'll get you some pics of mine as it passed if you like?

photo would be much appreciated.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 3/10/18 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Are these the spacer? (can you remember what ID worked best?)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 3/10/18 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/balance-bar-iva-locking-kit
craigdiver

posted on 3/10/18 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Does this fit the obp universal pedal box? and do I need to buy two or is is sufficient to lock the right hand side where there is plenty thread?

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 4/10/18 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:

Does this fit the obp universal pedal box? and do I need to buy two or is is sufficient to lock the right hand side where there is plenty thread?

Well it fitted my Premium OBP pedal box so I'd think so. I bought two and locked it off both ways IIRC. Will remind myself when I take you a photo later

Charlie C

posted on 4/10/18 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have the same peddel box on my Haynes Roadster, it passed the IVA test 2 years ago with the lock nuts as you have them plus some lock wire which went through the bias bar whole at the right hand end and the through the peddle. I didn't use a spacer or anything like it.

I did add a sticker from CBS (i think) which said something about not adjusting the bias bar.

Nickp

posted on 4/10/18 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I only used the locking kit at the long thread end. Make sure you leave a small gap at the other end between the nut and the clevis pin so it can move freely though. I drilled and pinned the nuts as I'd heard mixed opinions on using nylocs.

Description
Description

Description
Description

craigdiver

posted on 4/10/18 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I only used the locking kit at the long thread end. Make sure you leave a small gap at the other end between the nut and the clevis pin so it can move freely though. I drilled and pinned the nuts as I'd heard mixed opinions on using nylocs.

Nick, thank you. I see the spacer and nut with roll pin on the right. Can you remember why did you put a nut on the left hand side?

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 4/10/18 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Nick, thank you. I see the spacer and nut with roll pin on the right. Can you remember why did you put a nut on the left hand side?

Left one is there just in case the right one was to come loose. Bit 'belt and braces', but it keeps the IVA tester happy

steve m

posted on 4/10/18 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got an OBP setup also, and my "fix" to stop the bar turning, was a 5mm threaded hole in the centre of one of the clevis pivots and a small bolt tightened up, its never turned yet

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

craigdiver

posted on 4/10/18 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Ive got an OBP setup also, and my "fix" to stop the bar turning, was a 5mm threaded hole in the centre of one of the clevis pivots and a small bolt tightened up, its never turned yet

That is a great idea, will it satisfy Mr IVA though as he wants it ‘locked’ and un-adjustble

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

steve m

posted on 4/10/18 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cant tell you that, as I was pre iva/sva but once locked, it really is a pita to get to to alter

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Daf

posted on 5/10/18 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Just another point to add, I failed my IVA because the nuts on the pivot for the pedal didn't have enough thread showing through them - I've circled them below. I had to take out the accelerator or clutch pedal (can't remember which one) and feed a longer pivot all the way through to get it in!

craigdiver

posted on 5/10/18 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Just another point to add, I failed my IVA because the nuts on the pivot for the pedal didn't have enough thread showing through them - I've circled them below. I had to take out the accelerator or clutch pedal (can't remember which one) and feed a longer pivot all the way through to get it in!

Thanks for the heads up on that one, did you replace the 3 pedals with longer screwed rod?

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Daf

posted on 5/10/18 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

Thanks for the heads up on that one, did you replace the 3 pedals with longer screwed rod?

No just the brake ibecause this is the only system that is safety critical.

craigdiver

posted on 5/10/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Daf, i’ll not be recommending the obp universal pedal box to anyone. Wasn’t designed with having the IVA test in mind!

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.