Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air filter ducting
cliftyhanger

posted on 17/2/19 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Air filter ducting

I am going to change my "K+N" filter (looks like a massive DCOE filter) for an airbox with a remote cone filter.
So few questions
1. engine is ST170 on ITB's. making about 185bhp. So what size ducting/filter
2. Any particular type of ducting. Will need to be about6-700mm long. I know smooth lined is best, but a rigid tube won't work, it needs a flexi to allow movement between engine and the filter (which will be fixed in front/to one side of the radiator)
3. Suggestions for the filter?

Cheers
Clive

posted on 18/2/19 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I used 4" wire wound flexy duct with an air box & trumpets on the Delorto 45's with a cone that was embossed K&N.

I'm not saying it is K&N as it came from China and cost £8

The engine produces 180 bhp.

Paul G

Description
Description

Bluemoon

posted on 18/2/19 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I think K&N do a catalog with BHP ratings of there filters. From what I recall all the other manufacturers don't seem to actually measure the filters ability to filter - seems a bit of an omission. They seem to stock some generic and list by bhp (which is proportional to air flow, so seems sensible).

Filtration performance of "cheap" alternatives may not be all that good, some appear to be no more than a stainless woven sheet, no better than a tea strainer. Not much help against abrasive dust.

Dan

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/2/19 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps.
I will buy a proper branded filter, I need to keep the hose to 90mm max, but it seems the pipercross airboxes use a "mere" 3inch inlet. So 80mm should be enough.

mcerd1

posted on 19/2/19 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Thanks for the replies chaps.
I will buy a proper branded filter, I need to keep the hose to 90mm max, but it seems the pipercross airboxes use a "mere" 3inch inlet. So 80mm should be enough.

looking at the ITG catalogue they recon their 80mm necked ones are good for upto 450hp - so even with a big pinch of salt I think you'll be fine

-

40inches

posted on 19/2/19 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I sized the hose and filter on the throttle body diameter, so 70mm hose. 240bhp and hits the rev limiter (7200rpm) in
third easily
Description
Description

[Edited on 19-2-19 by 40inches]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.