Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jag V6 dyno results (at last)
Nevtiger

posted on 3/5/20 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting you should say that!

I had asked Bruce for a pair of manifolds, he said they would be a few months but eventually he then sent out the email to all customers stating they were going to concentrate on converting cars only so I never did get a pair. However they would still need modifying as the starter is still in the Jaguar position and not the Rocketeer position.

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/20 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
One of the chaps on here had a similar run in with a Bruce but didn’t manage to get any parts. I think he then said he would only do the kits. Strange as the market for a kit must be small but people spending smaller chunks for there own projects will be larger. In my book a sale is a profit, so his must be more off a hobby for like minded mx5 fans with deep pockets.

DanSt does some nice head flanges.

Nevtiger

posted on 3/5/20 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I didn’t have a run in with Bruce I found him to be a nice guy. Biggest issue for him I believe was he was/is? In full time employment as well as doing the kits.

But I do agree that sales to allow conversions to other vehicles would be a cash bonus for him.

CosKev3

posted on 3/5/20 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
One of the chaps on here had a similar run in with a Bruce but didn’t manage to get any parts. I think he then said he would only do the kits. Strange as the market for a kit must be small but people spending smaller chunks for there own projects will be larger. In my book a sale is a profit, so his must be more off a hobby for like minded mx5 fans with deep pockets.

DanSt does some nice head flanges.

I contacted Rocketeer before I started my conversion, but £1300 for sump/flywheel/bell housing to mount a £200 engine didn't feel right or make sense to me!

Circa £400 doing it the way I have with the adapter plate and modified ST200 flywheel.

big_wasa

posted on 3/5/20 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I don’t mind paying for good quality parts but there is something very satisfying about macking stuff.
Nevtiger

posted on 20/5/20 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Interestingly Rocketeer have started selling things again to self builders. They had put a stop on it.
big_wasa

posted on 31/5/20 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wow wow wow.

I’ve just watched Ian’s latest dyno vid and wow again 500 bhp plus. That is a very cool engine in a very cool car.

Can I ask where you sourced the pistons and rods please.

Oddified

posted on 31/5/20 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Wow wow wow.

I’ve just watched Ian’s latest dyno vid and wow again 500 bhp plus. That is a very cool engine in a very cool car.

The engines do work well with a bit of boost!

I had a set of custom Wiseco pistons made, i wanted 9.5-1 comp and it was the easiest way (if not cheap..) to get exactly what i wanted.
The rods came from Xpower engines with ARP bolts, probably just Chinese rods like K1's and most others that are sub £100 each, look, feel and measured up spot on though.

The only other things i did to the engine are- under piston oil jets (i used BMW valved jets, drilled the block and pressed in), Piper valve springs/caps, mild porting in the heads/cut the seats/valves and Siemens 60lb/630cc injectors (they are maxed out at over 90% duty cycles on the high boost setting though).

It seems you don't have to try to hard to make over 500bhp with these engines...

Markymark

posted on 1/6/20 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but Oddified what piston oil cooler jets did you use (part number?) as I could do with adding some in my engine, Alfa V6, having changed the rods these are now missing, the high output engines had them as standard in the block as well. If this is doable it would be a great solution. Some pics would be really useful. PM me if you don't want to derail this excellent thread.

Many Thanks in advance

Mark

[Edited on 1/6/20 by Markymark]

Oddified

posted on 1/6/20 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markymark
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but Oddified what piston oil cooler jets did you use (part number?) as I could do with adding some in my engine, Alfa V6, having changed the rods these are now missing, the high output engines had them as standard in the block as well. If this is doable it would be a great solution. Some pics would be really useful. PM me if you don't want to derail this excellent thread.

Many Thanks in advance

Mark

[Edited on 1/6/20 by Markymark]

Bmw 11421730619

They're not cheap new, but there's normally sets of used ones on ebay, a quick google search will find plenty of pictures (i never seem to succeed in posting pictures on this forum lol)

Markymark

posted on 1/6/20 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Oddified will have a look into that, see if its a goer

Mark

andygtt

posted on 3/7/20 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:
Wow wow wow.

The engines do work well with a bit of boost!

I had a set of custom Wiseco pistons made, i wanted 9.5-1 comp and it was the easiest way (if not cheap..) to get exactly what i wanted.
The rods came from Xpower engines with ARP bolts, probably just Chinese rods like K1's and most others that are sub £100 each, look, feel and measured up spot on though.

The only other things i did to the engine are- under piston oil jets (i used BMW valved jets, drilled the block and pressed in), Piper valve springs/caps, mild porting in the heads/cut the seats/valves and Siemens 60lb/630cc injectors (they are maxed out at over 90% duty cycles on the high boost setting though).

It seems you don't have to try to hard to make over 500bhp with these engines...

That is exactly the spec I would have suggested for a reliable 500+bhp engine build :-)

I have a set of those XPower rods on the shelf, I also have arrow ones to compare against and I must admit for 1/3 of the cost they are much better than I expected. Can’t fault them at all.

As you know my ford head version made around 730bhp, and revd to 8000rpm with very little difference in spec to yours... I had mountune cams (ground by piper) and arrow rods.... I recommend ARP head bolts only as they are not much more expensive than the ford ones, yet better and more importantly reusable. Ford ones won’t be an issue tho and can hold 1.4bar.

I used to run the same injectors as you, I turned the fuel pressure up and was able to get a lot more fuel in that way... just an option for you when you want more power lol

The was checking piston to valve clearance with my jag heads and VVT last night, wanted to see how much lift I can go to with my all new setup.... quite excited to see how the Jag heads perform when boosted.... target is 1000bhp :-)

Andy

please redefine your limits.

andygtt

posted on 3/7/20 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
BTW... my experience is EGT is the enemy with this engine when turbocharged, it’s worth monitoring and putting safeties in for it.

Andy

Oddified

posted on 3/7/20 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've turned the fuel pressure up a few weeks ago , 4 bar at idle now but i've also been tinkering with many other things as well, on maximum attack mode the injectors are touching 92% duty, afr's around 11.4 so not overly rich either for the boost/power.

I have the pre turbo/exhaust manifold pressure connected into the ecu and logged so i can see the pre/post turbo pressure ratio, that also gives some very good info on the general 'happiness' of the setup and turbo efficiency but an egt sensor connected into the ecu is probably also a good idea with some trims/compensations mapped in.

Oddified

posted on 10/8/20 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
BTW... my experience is EGT is the enemy with this engine when turbocharged, it’s worth monitoring and putting safeties in for it.

Along with many other things done to the car during the lockdown, i've just fitted an EGT gauge/sensor. What sort of temperatures are generally considered safe/a bit on the limit/risky??.

andygtt

posted on 11/8/20 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
well the material the valves are made of is rated to 850 deg c... i recorded 900 deg c on 0.6bar and 950 deg c on high boost.

So i upgraded to inconel valves

Andy

CosKev3

posted on 11/8/20 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well the material the valves are made of is rated to 850 deg c... i recorded 900 deg c on 0.6bar and 950 deg c on high boost.

So i upgraded to inconel valves

Oh!

Do you run multiple EGT probes in each header, if not where is the single one positioned?

andygtt

posted on 12/8/20 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Im mine i ran one per bank in the noble collector which is about 6inches from the head... its not an idea reading but better than nothing.
Certainly its better than running one post turbo which is what all the others running EGT on the noble do.

Im currently upgrading the Motec ECU to something a bit more advanced and will monitor every bank.... its gets expensive very quickly as just getting the bung welded into the inconel manifolds is over £500, then i need the sensor etc etc

Andy

Oddified

posted on 12/8/20 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Useful info as always

I fitted one sensor, it's on no2 cylinder about 4" from the head/exhaust flange. On my low boost setting (0.75 bar boost / 430bhp) the highest peak egt i've had is 792c and that was foot flat uphill.

I've not tried it yet on the higher boost settings as i'm trying to be kind to a new clutch and bed it it in a bit lol. Obviously i expect the EGT's to go up with the higher boost settings. Googling and reading various forums, 900c generally seems to be considered the maximum, above is a bit risky and get up to 950 - 1000c is very risky (all assuming regular exhaust valves of course).

The gauge is linked into the ecu and i've setup compensations to add fuel above 900c but i'll have to see yet where it ends up on maximum attack mode

Ian

andygtt

posted on 12/8/20 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect a lot of the heat is because of the noble collector design which seems restrictive plus im measuring 3 cylinders all in that very restriction.
Im remaking one of the manifolds to get rid of this restriction... can do nothing about the other as the turbo is there

I think your way is better for getting an accurate reading... I based my safeties off of it, so if one changed significantly from the other it would start cutting boost etc.

Andy

CosKev3

posted on 14/8/20 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I suspect a lot of the heat is because of the noble collector design which seems restrictive plus im measuring 3 cylinders all in that very restriction.
Im remaking one of the manifolds to get rid of this restriction... can do nothing about the other as the turbo is there

I think your way is better for getting an accurate reading... I based my safeties off of it, so if one changed significantly from the other it would start cutting boost etc.

Came across your name on another forum from a couple of years ago and you said you had a couple of dry sump set ups that retain the standard engine pump for pressure,you still sitting on them?

andygtt

posted on 14/8/20 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Im afraid not

Andy

CosKev3

posted on 14/8/20 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Im afraid not

Ok thanks

Oddified

posted on 20/8/20 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
With a few more miles on the clutch, i checked the EGT's on map 2 today (1.25bar boost, ~500bhp) and peaked at 890c. Logically map 3 will create higher EGT's again but i have map 3 running a bit richer and it also activates the water/meth system (on maps 1 and 2 the water/meth isn't used) so time will tell when i check it, plus i only intend to run this setting for a bit of drag racing so it'll only be for a few seconds

Ian

andygtt

posted on 21/8/20 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
My EGT went from 900deg c on low boost 0.6bar to 950deg c on 1.45bar high boost.... it was around 470-480bhp on 0.6bar so not miles away from what your seeing at 500bhp so Im interested if you see the same increase trend I had when you push the power up.

Andy

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.