Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting Semi-Tubular Rivets by Hand
John P

posted on 20/5/19 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting Semi-Tubular Rivets by Hand

Hi,

I have an Austin 7 where the clutch linings are riveted to the pressure plate using brass semi-tubular rivets.

I am replacing the linings and there are only eight rivets to fit so I am hoping I can either peen them using just a centre-punch followed up by possibly a ball pein hammer or similar or alternatively buy a simple hand punch with the correct form to turn the end over but I've not been able to find anything at a sensible (ie cheap) price.

The rivets are 3/16" diameter "Tinsman" style so I can support the flat end on a piece of rod and the strength of the riveting probably isn't too critical as, in effect, they are there to hold the lining in place rather than take much load.

Any advice / suggestions,

John.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/5/19 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I’ve riveted brake linings on VWs loads of times at a main dealers using a hammer operated riveter , I’ve also done it at home using a piece of steel held in a vice as an anvil and a brake pipe flaring die to form the rivet head . Can’t remember if I used an op 1 or op2 die or both but it worked well
nick205

posted on 20/5/19 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
There must be a Austin 7 owners club with members who'd advise on this?

My old work boss had an Austin 7 based Speedy and spent most of his no work time fettling such things. I'm sure he belonged to an owners register and club as well.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/5/19 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
What you describe sounds just fine, those rivets are still used on cars today and the punches required only a few quid with vids on youtube showing you how to do it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave r

posted on 25/5/19 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
ball bearing and a vice

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.