Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help wanted. Aj30 / Duratec 30
CosKev3

posted on 6/8/20 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
130mm, but It sounds like it’s going to cause you issues at idle as it drops the ratio Quite a bit

Thanks,I'm going to have to fit a bigger bodied alternator over the winter,so should be ok then

mgb281

posted on 22/11/20 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Although this thread has moved away from its origins and gone to turbo AJ30's . I am fitting my AJ30/RX8 combination into a MGB. Out of interest the 65mm (actually more like 67mm) from a late 90's Mustang GT or Crown Victoria fits perfectly on a ST200 manifold, even the TPS plug is the same and I got mine from a very low mileage car for the princely sum of £25 including shipping from the USA!
Partofthechaos

posted on 12/6/21 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of thread resurrection!

I've managed to get the AJ30 into the engine bay, but I can't see any way of getting an alternator attached. It it possible to rotate it 180 degrees and have it hanging off the front of the engine? Anyone seen that before? I think that may be my only option unless I get into modifying the chassis right next to the front suspension.

Also I'm going to need a smaller / remote clutch master cylinder. Any bright ideas for a good small one?

Thanks all!

big_wasa

posted on 12/6/21 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics ?

I am collecting bits to get back on with mine. I've picked up a 60a Denso styled unit from starterman. I was thinking it would go passenger side below the exhaust.

40inches

posted on 12/6/21 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted mine where the AC pump would fit, a 40amp Denso would be smaller.
Description
Description

CosKev3

posted on 12/6/21 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah mines passenger side similar position to pic above but tighter to the block as I've fitted a full size altenator now off a V6 Freelander as my EWP max draw is 36amps and my fan 20amps.
I wouldn't fit a 40amp small Denso one,I struggled with idle voltage last year before I upgraded my EWP and fan.
It would just about maintain 12volts in standing traffic with fan on but if you put headlights on it wouldn't maintain 12volts.

Partofthechaos

posted on 12/6/21 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Output is noted, thank you. I will make sure I get one which is big enough.

These pictures should help explain the issue. It is difficult to explain with photos, but the passenger side mounts are obscured by chassis and the belt routing would be a nightmare. There is room at the front, but presumably the alternator would rotate the opposite direction and brackets may be a sod.

Alternator location
Alternator location

Alternator location 3
Alternator location 3

CosKev3

posted on 12/6/21 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis is loads different to the old one!

That angled brace bar will need removing by the looks of it,and rework the brace once you've got a alternator mounted.

You realise you've got the later engine there with the more complicated VVT?

Early ones just had a solenoid to advance the inlet cams,which is easily controllable by a output from any ECU.
Yours will need a ECU with proper VVT control from what I've seen

Partofthechaos

posted on 12/6/21 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I worked out that it was CVVT after I bought it. I have some ideas for ECUs, if not I understand that it is possible to remove. Alternatively I will get a different engine.

I am reluctant to do too much chopping of the chassis, especially close to the suspension mounts. Do you think hanging the alternator out the front won't work?

mgb281

posted on 12/6/21 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I am mounting a second crank pulley in front of the original, this will enable me to have the alternator up high and the belt forward enough to clear the cylinder heads. I have bought a Mazda Tribute pulley (same engine as the Jaguar, but most USA built duratec V6's had them) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324073458342?hash=item4b74488aa6:g:JbAAAOSw-a5eR4HZ which has a threaded hole in each of the three spokes. I will attach one of these to a spacer between the two pulleys
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313368011865?hash=item48f6306459%3Ag%3A0LgAAOSwxwdf8b2%7E&LH_ItemCondition=3
Mounting the alternator as you suggest will work and the only downside is that the cooling fan will be running backwards. Nearly all Honda engines until around 2003 (depending on car model) had engines that rotated anti clockwise, one of those alternators would actually be running in the correct rotation.

Totally separate to the subject is this question, when using one of Freddy's adapters which has been modified to take a zetec starter motor and a Mondeo ST220 flywheel how much needs to be machined off the RX8 bellhousing to get the clutch mating distance correct? I have heard 14mm and also just the thickness of the adapter plate.

Partofthechaos

posted on 12/6/21 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you, I will look into Honda Alternators. I will also see if I can flip the cooling fan for the alternator I have as that would be a simple option.

Regarding the adapter plate issue mine is not yet with me, but I am interested in the answer!

starterman

posted on 12/6/21 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I fitted mine where the AC pump would fit, a 40amp Denso would be smaller.
Description
Description

The 60 amp is the same size........................

CosKev3

posted on 12/6/21 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've taken 10mm off my bell housing,the size of the adapter plate,and mines working perfectly.
10mm leaves plenty of thread left to bolt a Mazda6 clutch slave cylinder on,if you take 14mm off the bell housing you have much less of the bolt hole left.

big_wasa

posted on 13/6/21 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Partofthechaos
Output is noted, thank you. I will make sure I get one which is big enough.

These pictures should help explain the issue. It is difficult to explain with photos, but the passenger side mounts are obscured by chassis and the belt routing would be a nightmare. There is room at the front, but presumably the alternator would rotate the opposite direction and brackets may be a sod.

Alternator location
Alternator location

Alternator location 3
Alternator location 3

That does indeed look a challenge.

I have seen v8's fitted with the alternator out front but I can't find any photos.
Are there any issues to spinning one back wards ?

Partofthechaos

posted on 13/6/21 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is fine, with the exception of the alternator cooling fan which would be suboptimal. I will see if I can flip it round on the one I have. If that works then I need to make sure it is mounted rigidly enough, then all should be fine. Will just look a bit weird, that's all.
mgb281

posted on 13/6/21 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Not the Ford or Jaguar engine but a Vauxhall V6 in a MGB, if you look at the photos on posting #15 you will see how Ian Cass overcame the same problem on a MGB, I have not re read it but I think he used a normal rotation alternator. The only issue is heat dissipation and if its in a cool airflow there should be no problems.
Partofthechaos

posted on 13/6/21 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you!

Sorry, maybe I am being dim, which is post #15?

[Edited on 13/6/21 by Partofthechaos]

starterman

posted on 13/6/21 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
What alternator are you trying to run backwards?
Partofthechaos

posted on 13/6/21 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I was planning to use the one I have, which is from the MX5, an earlier one which is self regulated rather than the later ones which is ecu regulated.

[Edited on 13/6/21 by Partofthechaos]

Partofthechaos

posted on 15/6/21 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Ive found another difference with the CVVT engine that I didn't know about (or had forgotten). Half of the passenger side cam cover is taller so the inlet manifold solution that you all have worked out won't work without a thicker adapter plate. Accommodating this under the bonnet with drop the sum a bit further out of the bottom of the car and it is all ready quite low.

I'm getting close to needing another engine I think. Which is a pain! :-( Anyone want to swap?

mgb281

posted on 15/6/21 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I was equally surprised, fitting the AJV6 engine into an MGB is a tight squeeze height wise, originally I had bought a scrap engine and although I knew it was the CVVT type due to the four pin cops I did not realise the oil filler was so much higher than on the earlier engine. I was having the same problem of a bulge in the bonnet or very low ground clearance, neither of which is what I wanted. Since I have a scrap engine fitted temporarily into a scrap rubber bumper car which is fifteen miles from home and I have an early engine going into a chrome bumper car which is at home I continually got confused regarding the dimensions. Especially since the later cars have different panels under the bonnet to accommodate V8 engines also a different cross member which gives less height availability. Engine swaps are such fun.
CosKev3

posted on 17/6/21 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've never looked at a later engine in the flesh, stick with what you know is the reason I've always bought early engines
Partofthechaos

posted on 22/6/21 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is anyone able to confirm that the engines are identical regardless of their previous connection to a manual or automatic 'box? Think I need an older one...
40inches

posted on 22/6/21 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Partofthechaos
Is anyone able to confirm that the engines are identical regardless of their previous connection to a manual or automatic 'box? Think I need an older one...

Mine came with a Flex plate, flywheel bolted on fine, I think any difference would most likely be in the electronics.

Partofthechaos

posted on 22/6/21 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I was expecting, thanks.
<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.