Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec - more power without ECU
pekwah1

posted on 6/9/19 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec - more power without ECU

Hi Guys,

I've got a 2.0 blacktop in my Striker. Fairly standard apart from a log style inlet manifold, exhaust is 4 branch straight into backbox, no cat.

I'm running on the stock ford ECU, my question is are there any mods i can do on the engine that are going to see any kind of decent power returns without changing the ECU? I ask because i think i'm probably looking in the region of at least £1000 for the ECU and mapping alone ignoring any other changes and simply don't have that kind of budget at the moment.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
Andrew

Nickp

posted on 6/9/19 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Why not go bike carbs and mapped ignition? Might seem like a backwards step from FI but I did an ST170 on ZX6R carbs and it was brilliant. Cost peanuts (£40 carbs, £100 for megajolt) was smooth from tickover to the red line and made 178bhp on an otherwise std engine.
pekwah1

posted on 6/9/19 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick, yeh could be an option, out of interest how did you map the megajolt?
I've never looked into mapping but am very computer zavvy if it's not too difficult although i'm guessing it one of these things where experience counts for a lot?

big_wasa

posted on 6/9/19 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
In short No, you plug and play and what you get is what you get. You could get it mapped but it’s not cheap and you will get very little gain. Have you had it dyno’d ? Should be 150 ish with a good exhaust and no cat.

Itb’s or carbs will get you another 15bhp. St170 lump with above and a good exhaust is the most cost effective and should get you nudging 200. I think this is the sweet spot.

Thought about a turbo ? Should start with 220bhp. On top of your set up you will want an st170 maf, 440cc injectors, 2.5bar map sensor from a diesel fiesta or transit. 3 port boost solenoid. Td04 turbo should be ideal. Some kind of charge cooling.

Keep in mind with a large wedge of extra torque your into clutch and maybe gearbox upgrades. Then fuel, tyres and the list goes on.
AndyW ? went this way as an upgrade from Oem on the Oem Focus Rs Ecu like mine.
He said in went really well but he sold it before I could get much feedback.

Should have mine running this month. It’s taken way longer than I planned. But I’ve changed engine, box, prop, fuel system and a full re wire. Oh new dash, new exhaust, new front wings and that’s before I get the lsd and big brake upgrade out.

Nickp

posted on 6/9/19 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
Hi Nick, yeh could be an option, out of interest how did you map the megajolt?
I've never looked into mapping but am very computer zavvy if it's not too difficult although i'm guessing it one of these things where experience counts for a lot?

I cheated, basically. There's plenty of ignition maps available with a quick google for both the Zetec and the ST170. I actually ended up copying one off a guy on here who had gone to the expense of setting his up on a rolling road. It doesn't really matter what 'ECU' you use for the ignition map, they all end up with the same figures in the end. I'd never used bike carbs and had my reservations but was astounded by the driveability and power. The key to getting them to work well is the throttle linkage. You need to get the full travel of a pedal to match the full travel of the carbs, which is relatively small. I borrowed a mates wideband lambda meter to get the main jets right. The ZX6R carb mains were about 1.6mm to start and I ended up at 2.15mm on the ST170, probably a bit less for a std Zetec. Once I thought they were about right I took it to a rolling road to confirm it was all safe, which it was, and it made 178bhp. This was right on the money for a good ST170 on those rollers apparently. Power and torque curves were smooth all the way, no dips whatsoever Just to say again, those carbs cost me £40 off ebay

pekwah1

posted on 6/9/19 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both, budget is the key here as I’ve stupidly decided to get married next year so am definitely a poor man for a while but can spare a few hundred ;o)

I’ll have a look into bike carbs, quite happy to do diy, maybe if I end up with megajolt as well I’ll have to try and blag a map off you!

loggyboy

posted on 6/9/19 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
NITROUS.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.