Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Telescopic column doesn't telscope!
jps

posted on 10/1/20 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Telescopic column doesn't telscope!

Having seen this thread here: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=215982

It has confirmed my suspicion that the telescopic part of my column is seized - specifically the part with the white triangular plastic bush that sits between the triangular length of the Sierra column and the 'crimped tube ' part - i.e. all the parts shown in the pic here:

Obvious questions are - am I right that the white plastic bush part means it should be sliding in and out AND - if so, how do I free it off!!!

Angel Acevedo

posted on 10/1/20 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
It should be fairly tight.
It is supposed to collapse upon impact.
How tight I don´t know, the one I disassembled from my donor ´95 Ford Mustang was not that tight though.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 10/1/20 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
The picture is actually a Granada column, it’s slightly different to the Sierra and has come in a box of bits. I don’t even know if it serviceable but as above I am sure it’s only meant to collapse under impact. I would say that has taken some force to pull it out.
r1_pete

posted on 10/1/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
If its the same as the mgb setup, the plastic is poured in molten while the column length is held, there will probably be holes and dimples in each part of the column so the plastic insert fixes the column lenth, but will break and allw the column to collapse on impact.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnemms

posted on 10/1/20 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
My steering slides freely as it fully adjusts up - down - in - out..
But yes it is supposed to collapse in the event of impact..

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

JeffHs

posted on 10/1/20 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
As R1Pete says, the extruded plastic 'pips' through holes in the metal is what stops it sliding, and these bits break on impact. Many years ago I accidentally collapsed a Sierra column when fitting an after market steering wheel. I repaired it by drilling through the holes and the plastic and filled the hole with the same gauge aluminium knitting needle. I reckoned that the ali would break about as easily as the original plastic. Drove it for years like that.
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/1/20 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Having tested such columns with my face I can attest the forces involved are more than sufficient to make that column collapse
snapper

posted on 11/1/20 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Having tested such columns with my face I can attest the forces involved are more than sufficient to make that column collapse

Have now got ‘ATIL OTOM’ pressed on to your forehead?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jps

posted on 11/1/20 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnemms
My steering slides freely as it fully adjusts up - down - in - out..
But yes it is supposed to collapse in the event of impact..

Assuming you have a Sierra column, which part does this movement come from then? I have an adjustable type column where the bracket that mounts the column to the chassis allows the up down/back forth. But the column itself is a fixed length. ..

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/1/20 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Have now got ‘ATIL OTOM’ pressed on to your forehead?

Nope but my nose told me bare metal spokes and no airbag were a bad idea.... I wish I'd kept that steering wheel to hang on the wall

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.