Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repairing fibreglass handle log splitting maul
James

posted on 30/4/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Repairing fibreglass handle log splitting maul

Greetings all,

Hope you're all handling the lock down ok!

Quite a few years ago I bought the Roughneck log splitting set from Screwfix.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-log-splitter-set-3-pieces/48279

They're not too bad once sharpened!

However, it hasn't long before the 6lb maul head came off the fibreglass handle. This MAY have been because I used the back (sledge hammer) end a few times to smack the wood grenade into logs. Either way, the araldite holding the head to the handle has cracked.

Because I hate throwing stuff away I've found some threads elsewhere about repairing these with various 'slow cure' araldites. However, it struck me the other day (ouch! ) I might be able to fit a wooden handle to the same head as easily.

Any thoughts on the best course? I have already bought the recommended araldite but I'm a bit worried about how I set the head 'straight' on the handle. Having said that fixing it 'straight' on a wooden handle might be harder still!

Cheers!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

J666AYP

posted on 1/5/20 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would swap out the handle for a nice wooden one. Having the head held on with epoxy is a whoopsie waiting to happen.

J

roadrunner

posted on 1/5/20 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not open the head of the axe so when you fit a proper wooden handle you can drive wedges into the end.
David Jenkins

posted on 1/5/20 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Can you not open the head of the axe so when you fit a proper wooden handle you can drive wedges into the end.

That is the traditional way to do this - you can buy wedges, although most people on this forum can probably make their own! A nice piece of ash would do a very good job as a handle.

[Edited on 1/5/20 by David Jenkins]

AlexXtreme

posted on 1/5/20 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
The handle is made from a thermoplastic so the epoxy Araldite will always crack up in the end.. though it might sound odd but lightly burning or darkening the surface of the plastic with a flamecan create a better bond with the epoxy. I would say wedges in the plastic are likely not to work so replace with a wood handle if you can. I have had an axe head come off when it was stuck in a log overhead.. luckily the momentum meant it landed behind me!
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 1/5/20 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the same maul and have used the reverse to hit the grenade without a problem. I have bashed off the soft rubber just before the head. Considering the force going through the head, I'm not sure if be happy with a bodged solution. Get an ash blank.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.