Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra steering column dismantling
Daf

posted on 6/5/20 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra steering column dismantling

Does anyone know how to remove the cast steering lock and ignition barrel bracket off the Sierra steering column?

I’ve done some research and not really had any luck – I’ve seen people hack it to pieces and in other instances it seems to be very cleanly removed. I’m beginning to wonder if there are different types of column where one is removable.

Any thoughts welcome!

Slater

posted on 6/5/20 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Angle Grinder

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 6/5/20 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen that you can remove the ignition barrel quite easily somewhere (for when keys are lost to replace it). I've got a memory on a very early column it just pulled off towards the wheel - but this is a very old memory and could be rubbish.
JMW

posted on 6/5/20 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
The lock on mine was secured onto the tube by two security bolts whose heads intentionally snap off on installation.

I got mine off without damaging them by carefully centre punched the edge of the remaining bolt stub and then using the centre punch to gently tap them with a hammer to unscrew.

If you want to put the lock back (I did), I think the thread is M8. I used two allen bolts, but needed to grind a bit off the bolt heads to get them to fit into the recesses in the lock.

If you want to put it back but not use the locking feature, just clamp it somewhere else on the tube.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.