Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lithium Battery Size
SJ

posted on 6/5/20 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Lithium Battery Size

Thinking about getting a smaller battery and looking at the Leoch XTREME XR-600, which I can get for £60. However it weighs ^kg compared to about 1kg for a Lithium.

Question is what size of lithium is sensible on a car? The Lithium CCA doesn't seem to be a limiting factor even on smaller batteries, but what AH is feasible for a Zetec with lights, heater etc?

Thanks

Stu

[Edited on 6/5/20 by SJ]

lsdweb

posted on 6/5/20 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a lithium battery to save weight but had problems so ditched it, as I don't want the nasty, horrible thing alongside me in the car! And I'm having a nightmare getting a refund for the thing.

That's the shape of a 2 month old lithium battery! Two chargers later too.

Description
Description

SJ

posted on 6/5/20 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look good!

Any ideas what the problem was?

lsdweb

posted on 6/5/20 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's gone back to the manufacturer but this was a tad disconcerting! The first charger failed as soon as I plugged it in so it wasn't a good experience! I've eventually had a refund so probably shouldn't complain I guess.

quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Doesn't look good!

Any ideas what the problem was?

Mike Wood

posted on 7/5/20 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

If you do decide to investigate alternative lithium batteries you might want to try calling Allan McDonald of A&G Motorcycles of Dalbeattie for advice:
http://www.aandgmotorcycles.co.uk/batteries.html Sprint and Hillclimb racers on another forum speak highly of his service and what he sells. He built and runs a 4-wheel drive Hillclimb Mini with Evo running gear.

If you are going back to lead acid, I have found Yuasa batteries good quality and value.

If you want sealed gel batteries, used for many years in racing cars and taken from aircraft use, DMS Technologies Varley Red Top. Also batteries such as Odyssey from Merlin Motorsport (who also sell fixing brackets for Red Top and Oddssey batteries).

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 7/5/20 by Mike Wood]

SJ

posted on 7/5/20 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi

If you do decide to investigate alternative lithium batteries you might want to try calling Alan Macdonald of A&G Motorcycles of Dalbeattie for advice:
http://www.aandgmotorcycles.co.uk/batteries.html Sprint and Hillclimb racers on another forum speak highly of his service and what he sells. He built and runs a 4-wheel drive Hillclimb Mini with Evo running gear.

If you are going back to lead acid, I have found Yuasa batteries good quality and value.

If you want sealed gel batteries, Merlin Motorsport sells Varley Red (other suppliers sell these too).

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike - I ordered a Leoch XTREME XR-600 in the end. It was under £60 delivered. Seems pretty similar to a Varley red top, just quite a bit cheaper.

This has some of the benefits of a lithium in that it will fit in the new location and hold charge well, just heavier. It also has quite a bit more capacity and CCA per £ than a Lithium.

Stu

[Edited on 7/5/20 by SJ]

lsdweb

posted on 7/5/20 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
It was A&G Motorcycles I had my battery from.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Wood
Hi

If you do decide to investigate alternative lithium batteries you might want to try calling Allan McDonald of A&G Motorcycles of Dalbeattie for advice:

If you want sealed gel batteries, used for many years in racing cars and taken from aircraft use, DMS Technologies Varley Red Top. Also batteries such as Odyssey from Merlin Motorsport (who also sell fixing brackets for Red Top and Oddssey batteries).

Cheers
Mike

Mike Wood

posted on 7/5/20 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, that is interesting - is that the one that went pear-shaped or the new one?

Let us know how you get on with the replacement one you have found. What type of battery is it?

Cheers
Mike

SJ

posted on 7/5/20 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ah, that is interesting - is that the one that went pear-shaped or the new one?

Let us know how you get on with the replacement one you have found. What type of battery is it?

Cheers
Mike

The XR600 is a lead acid Absorbed Glass Mat technology type - basically same as red top 25 / PC 680.

Stu

[Edited on 7/5/20 by SJ]

scudderfish

posted on 8/5/20 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Where did you get the Leoch from? I can't find it that cheap

Regards,
Dave

40inches

posted on 8/5/20 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Where did you get the Leoch from? I can't find it that cheap

Regards,
Dave

LINK

SJ

posted on 8/5/20 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Cheaper here

Plus free delivery

Stu

[Edited on 8/5/20 by SJ]

scudderfish

posted on 8/5/20 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you, ordered
Gord

posted on 8/5/20 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Lucas 22AH AGM battery, its exactly the same size and spec as the Leoch but only costs £35.

WYAAOSwyGpdqGNS" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-12V-AGM-GOLF-22AH-BATTERY/392731092310?hash=item5b7098e556:gWYAAOSwyGpdqGNS

SJ

posted on 8/5/20 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
What's the CCA of that one? I looked at similar batteries but CCA was much lower than the Leoch battery

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.