Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: removable Steering Wheel Boss - Good idea or bad ?
dellyend1

posted on 10/5/20 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
removable Steering Wheel Boss - Good idea or bad ?

Hi All,

Just wanted to test the thoughts and experience of the forum on the pros and cons of fitting a removable steering wheel boss. I've got a sierra based column. I like the idea and would be great to allow access into the driver footwell etc , but can't help thinking are they safe ? Do they ever fail ?

Thanks

All

David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/20 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
At least one forum member had his removable steering wheel come adrift while driving at speed down a main road - it didn't end well although he walked away from the accident, which is the main thing.

[Edited on 10/5/20 by David Jenkins]

adithorp

posted on 10/5/20 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Swings and roundabouts.

Makes access in/out easier and to the footwell if you need it

Security is improved as it's harder to steal a car with no wheel but easy to steal the wheel should you not want to wander around with the wheel in your hand at your destination.

Difficulty in aligning the wheel when refitting can be a slight pain in some designs. Being sure it's locked on can be a concern. I think the crash mentioned above was a combo of the wheel coming off because it hadn't locked and being unable to realign before hitting the barriers. Play in the boss is an issue on many designs. The only boss I've come across that doesn't suffer any of these issues is this design...

http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Rapfix-Racing-212.html#SID=58

Simply goes on then spin and it auto-locates/locks in the right alignment and it has no play at all.

Another thing to consider is do you trust your ability to weld on the slug to to column. If not get it done professionally.

[Edited on 10/5/20 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

JAG

posted on 11/5/20 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one on my car - I think it's made by Spa.

It's been on the car since a few months after the SVA test. I fitted it for security and to make getting in/out a bit easier.

I spent a LOT of time setting up the slug/steering column before I started welding!

I carry the wheel with me whenever I'm away from the car. It's easy enough to fit (you do have to align the master spline) and it provides a level of security for an open car. There's no play in the splines and the car has covered over 10,000 miles since I built it.

I am very careful to check it's fully 'on' and that the locking mechanism has fully engaged. It also needs a little clean and lubrication occasionally.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

SJ

posted on 11/5/20 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a Snap-Off on my car for a few years. Works well for security. Ease of access to under dash and pedals is better. Doesn't make much difference getting in and out.

Mine is the type that locks with a key and it seems pretty secure. There's no play when it is one.

There was no welding involved to fit mine. It was just like fitting a normal boss except it is in two parts.

[Edited on 11/5/20 by SJ]

dellyend1

posted on 11/5/20 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, feedback appreciated
BenB

posted on 11/5/20 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
My only issues with mine has been due to my habit of fiddling with the release catch when at traffic lights! I've occasionally actually managed to pull the wheel off (usually just before the light changing) requiring a rapid re-attachment! But I can't really blame the manafacturer for me being a fidget fingers!
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/5/20 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
reminds me of when I crashed my just restored classic beetle through the garden fence the first time I tried to drive it and then found out I'd forgotten to even put the bolt on... or the seat latch

[Edited on 11/5/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 11/5/20 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad time heals. This subject used to always have my name crop up!

I was that person who had a QR wheel come off at 70mph, it didn't end well for the car!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.