Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No oil pressure
Shooter63

posted on 7/6/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
No oil pressure

Zetec turbo
I've been trying to get oil pressure up on the starter motor with no luck, the funny thing is I did a couple of months ago, I've tried pumping oil up the oil filter hole while turning the moter backward with no luck hoping it would re-prime the pump, I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to have to drop the sump and take the sod off, unless you fine gents have a better idea.

Shooter

rusty nuts

posted on 7/6/20 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
What engine? One thing you can try is cranking the engine with no oil filter, a couple of times I’ve had oil pressure problems on VWs, one with a brand new engine , taking the filter off was the only thing that worked
Slater

posted on 7/6/20 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I suggest: Leave the filter on. Take the spark plugs out so engine spins quicker, then remove the oil pressure sender unit from the block, fill big syringe with oil, squirt it down the sender hole using some plastic tube, quickly wind in the oil pressure sensor and then give engine a good crank. You should see some pressure after 5 seconds of so.

I've had to do this twice on my Zetec and it's worked. Think it helps prime the oil pump and the quicker cranking helps suck oil from the sump.

[Edited on 7-6-20 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

rusty nuts

posted on 7/6/20 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
I suggest: Leave the filter on. Take the spark plugs out so engine spins quicker, then remove the oil pressure sender unit from the block, fill big syringe with oil, squirt it down the sender hole using some plastic tube, quickly wind in the oil pressure sensor and then give engine a good crank. You should see some pressure after 5 seconds of so.

I've had to do this twice on my Zetec and it's worked. Think it helps prime the oil pump and the quicker cranking helps suck oil from the sump.

[Edited on 7-6-20 by Slater] [/quote

Both of the VW engines I had problems with were running , one had been left with the sump plug out for an hour l, on changing the filter which was primed and refilling the sump the engine wouldn’t prime. The second was a genuine VW reconditioned engine which I had cranked with no plugs in for ages, on both of them I removed the filters and cranked them over until oil came out of the filter housing, refitted the filters and had oil pressure straight away. I suspect modern oils drain from the pump etc a lot quicker than older oils

rj

posted on 7/6/20 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had oil priming issues on my Kawasaki ZX12r engine, I solved it by lightly pressurising the sump via the breather hose while cranking, worked a treat, cant see why it wouldn't work on a Zetec, or anything else
r1_pete

posted on 7/6/20 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pump oil into the pressure gauge/sensor take off port, it'll fill the galleries and prime the pump.

Turning the engine backwards will have emptied the pump and galleries.

[Edited on 7/6/20 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Shooter63

posted on 8/6/20 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I'll take the turbo feed pipe off the turbo end, fill it with oil and blow it down with compressed air to see if that works, if not I'll try the oil filter off method, if that doesn't work, it's a sump off job then

Shooter

r1_pete

posted on 8/6/20 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Thanks for the replies, I'll take the turbo feed pipe off the turbo end, fill it with oil and blow it down with compressed air to see if that works, if not I'll try the oil filter off method, if that doesn't work, it's a sump off job then

Shooter

Dont use compressed air that will blow the oil right through....

Use a pump oil can, seal it against the port as well as you can with rubber/plastic hose, pump until the can is very difficult to pump, leave it a few minutes and repeat, then refit your turbo feed and crank the motor.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/6/20 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
this all seems very excessive, why can you not just spin the engine over with the plugs out and a fresh battery?
r1_pete

posted on 8/6/20 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
this all seems very excessive, why can you not just spin the engine over with the plugs out and a fresh battery?

Sounds like the oil pump has dried out, if he's spun it backwards that won't have helped, the pump needs wetting with oil..

Shooter63

posted on 8/6/20 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63

Shooter

Dont use compressed air that will blow the oil right through....

Use a pump oil can, seal it against the port as well as you can with rubber/plastic hose, pump until the can is very difficult to pump, leave it a few minutes and repeat, then refit your turbo feed and crank the motor.

Ok I'll give it a crack

Shooter

Shooter63

posted on 13/6/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just a quick thanks to all you guys, I pumped as much oil down the turbo oil feed hose as possible, gave the engine a good crank and got the engine up to 20psi on the key, just one more fuel hose to connect up, 10 litres of Tesco 99 and it's ready for the initial fire ( fingers crossed)

Shooter

r1_pete

posted on 14/6/20 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Great stuff, these pumps are great at pumping oil, but will not pump air when dry to create the suction needed to draw oil up the tube.

Hope all goes well with the 1st firing....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.