Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre IVA road test
ColleyV12

posted on 4/9/20 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pre IVA road test

Where do you guys run your cars prior to IVA, my insurance is not valid for road, but didn't want a full out track day?
johnH20

posted on 4/9/20 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I took mine to North Weald airfield in Essex. So called 'activity days' are organised by several clubs and by Carlimits on a regular basis. Costs about £50 or £60 depending on organiser. Enough running time to sort brake balance and other basics.
Deckman001

posted on 4/9/20 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was lucky and had a friend who owns an MOT station, he used his trade plates to drive it to his workshop and set it up, he then let me drive it back afterwards depending on my insurance
starterman

posted on 4/9/20 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've been out twice after dark, neighbour in front and missus behind. That way no one could see the lack of plates. One of the advantages of living in the sticks.
Deckman001

posted on 4/9/20 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starterman
I've been out twice after dark, neighbour in front and missus behind. That way no one could see the lack of plates. One of the advantages of living in the sticks.

I've still got to do that to set up my digital speedo, a bit of a shame i live in a built up area, all i need to do is drive a set mile, and then i can scoot back

Jason

40inches

posted on 4/9/20 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
quote:

I've still got to do that to set up my digital speedo, a bit of a shame i live in a built up area, all i need to do is drive a set mile, and then i can scoot back

Jason

I set mine with GPS on my phone, was spot on

SteveWalker

posted on 4/9/20 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Jason

My speedo had DIP switches and a table of figures to set them to. I set it up with a rough figure, but wrote a very short BASIC program on a pocket computer (this was in 1999) to calculate how much change was required by comparing the setting and the actual speed. I then adjusted the settings on the rollers during the test. I don't know if there is any way of doing something similar with more modern speedos.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/9/20 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was lucky and had a friend who owns an MOT station, he used his trade plates to drive it to his workshop and set it up, he then let me drive it back afterwards depending on my insurance

I'm going to do much the same, drop it off at my local mot garage at the top of the street and get them to test it, tune the engine, set the steering and headlight alignment plus give it a good drive. Well worth the money I think. Good to have another set of critical eyes look over it anyway before the IVA. I read so many times of people going for the IVA and the cars barely running, I want mine well tested prior.

[Edited on 5/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jelly head

posted on 5/9/20 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Local industrial estate in the evening
ianhurley20

posted on 5/9/20 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Swaffham oval banger racing course - on my own and did over 100 laps, brilliant!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.