Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb ECUs of choice
blakep82

posted on 11/10/20 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Carb ECUs of choice

not been on here in ages!
so pickup has been through many versions, and done a number of track days. drives and handles great, but not had a lot of luck ECU-wise

originally started with megajolt, but didn't like the trigger wheel bolted on the front, and couldn't get it to sit well
changed to Nodiz as it can use the intenal vauxhall wheel, but far too many bugs in the software, and the ecu seems to set spurious rev limits, trigger offset resets itself and keeps dropping sparks. going to send it back for a replacement as its under warranty, but considering my options...

Canems? Emerald? MBE? what else is there, that will run the vauxhall timing wheel and comes recommened?
vauxhall x20xev, twin 45, big exhaust

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

perksy

posted on 11/10/20 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
My 2 litre XE which was built with all SBD bits had an MBE ECU and I was very pleased with it

Software for it was easy to download and free

number-1

posted on 12/10/20 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Canems is a really good bit of kit. Dave at Canems is mega helpful too. Ive just an ignition only ECU for carbs and also fuel injection ECU for a supercharged
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 12/10/20 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
As this is locostbuilders I'll recommend speeduino. But an assembled board (diy-efi.co.uk) but perhaps not a 0.4 as it's a bit more involved wiring it up. Then it's tinker time.
ttalps2000

posted on 13/10/20 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
no no not speeduino!! Had nothing but issues with that ECU, binned it in the end and bought OMEX, never looked back since
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 13/10/20 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've had no issues with it. Ok. I tried to solder one up and made a mistake (I let the smoke out). Bought one and it's worked once wired in correctly. Had great fun playing with it.

What set up did you try and how long ago?

ttalps2000

posted on 14/10/20 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
i had the 0.4.3c board. binned it back in June. Just wouldn't run correctly, no matter what you did with it, massive interference as well with it all. The support on the forums is appalling too as its not a MX5 or some jap import! Fitted the Omex 600, had a guarantee from them that it would start on the first try and drive it away and true to their word it did! Get what you pay for im afraid!
BaileyPerformance

posted on 14/10/20 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
The most cost effective way is microsquirt with VW lupo coilpack. (just dont use the EFI)
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/10/20 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running spark on a xflow, had support when needed.

Guess you got unlucky. If binned doesn't mean the actual bin & you hate it that much I'll pay postage for a spare.

Although as much as I love it, unless you get the PnP versions of the board it isn't plug and play, and there is a lot of reading / getting your head round things. Pinned etc are far more "it just works"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.