Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Project
mikeb

posted on 11/1/21 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
New Project

Well i sold my Haynes Roadster in in June/July, the new owner is having lots of fun and has turned it into a autocross car, he's winning with up north so I must have done something right with the build.

The idea was to get a TVR Chimaera, something I've always wanted, but unfortunately COVID got in the way and I decided now wasn't the time to put that much into a hobby.

So to keep something in the garage that I can still work on I bought a Mk1 TT in Moro blue with £86k on the clock, nice solid car that I'm slowly brining back up to really nice condition with a few tasty mods planned. I love it, although a totally different drive to the roadster. Just needs a bit more poke and the steering feel improving but I love the styling (even better once lowered a bit) inside and out.

On a side note. I have a strong dislike to Facebook forums, people are disrespectful don't like alternative options. There's no depth of knowledge like we have on here, just generally not a nice place to hang out on line. Shame as between that there's some useful knowledge and some decent people.

Benzine

posted on 11/1/21 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
£86k on the clock

just sat in cash on the dash?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 11/1/21 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
These are really under-rated cars.

Which engine spec is it?

I had a 225 BAM 1.8T version for a while. It was remapped to 290(ish). Rocket ship quick.

Pretty dull and un-inspiring in corners until I modified the haldex controller.... then you could actually get a bit of slip going

Really do miss the car.... I always wanted the 240 sport version with bucket seats and stripped interior.....but the money...wow...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mikeb

posted on 11/1/21 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
random pound sign, not cash on the dash but I did get a free OBD VW/Auid code reader
mikeb

posted on 11/1/21 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
yep its a 225 BAM
I got it as there is lots to do to upgrade them if you want.

Current plans:
1. Stage 1 remap to 265bhp should be enough without any real mods
2. Gaz coilovers
3. Front arm bushes, improve caster and turn in.
4. Rear arm camber adjuster
4. Haldex controller
5. Big brake kit if I decide to track it, if not, refurb brake, braided lines, new compound on the pad.
6. If i do the odd track day, race seat, wheel and a bit of weight reduction but not stripping it as its mainly a road car.

mikeb

posted on 11/1/21 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
So far I've just refurbed the wheels, two stage compound polish, cv gaiters and some new suspension joints, fix a door handle issue etc

IMG_202 01218_115232 by mjb22001, on Flickr

[Edited on 11/1/21 by mikeb]

sonic

posted on 11/1/21 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
i have had 2 x 225 TT's very underrated car indeed, i kept the first std and the second did the suspension, bushes, exhaust and loved it. then somebody gave me a drive in a V6 and it was another level, the sound of the V6 is fantastic. i still have it in storage and in mint condition same colour as yours. the prices are starting to creep up and i predict a large price increase soon.

Mick

mikeb

posted on 12/1/21 at 03:31 AM Reply With Quote
So you have a v6 tucked away, I was tempted with a v6 but decided on the turbo. Prices are creeping up, i was looking for a couple of months to find one with under 90k mileage and not the other side of the country. It was hard, in the end I over paid for mine by quite a bit as the guy knew I'd been looking for a while and he hadn't advertised it so haggling was hard but it has just been serviced, recent belts and front top mounts and pretty complete history, its got a couple of bumper scuffs to sort so I will get the front bumper resprayed and maybe the bonnet. These dark blues really show the stone chips!
lsdweb

posted on 12/1/21 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Here's mine that I'm rebuilding.

lsdweb

posted on 12/1/21 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Sprint and hillclimb car so pretty bare.

I'm going with a stock engine to start (225) but have a front mounted intercooler and a few other 'performance' bits so should push a bit above stock.

Suspension is Bilstein Nürburgring (lowered and stiffer) with front 'Cookbots', silver line top mounts and the rest polybushed. Rear is all rose jointed (early suspension).

Home made Haldex controller :-)

Regards

Wyn

indykid

posted on 12/1/21 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
random pound sign, not cash on the dash but I did get a free OBD VW/Auid code reader

That's good, you'll be needing that

SWMBO's 225 was fast but numb - compared to a mk1 mx5, it was opposite ends of the spectrum on both counts. It sounds like the haldex controller would make it a bit more engaging though.

Whatever the history says, unless you have verifiable receipts, get a cambelt on it. That one went badly for SWMBO but if you want 12 bent inlet valves, I'm sure I have some kicking about somewhere.....lest we forget

mikeb

posted on 12/1/21 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to see there is a bit of love for the tt. Lots to tinker with on them.
I’m interested to see with cookbots, caster bushes and some good coil overs how the handling improves. Mine feels planted at the moment, turn in and feel lacking but not a bad steer. I would have had a mx5 but at 6 3, there’s plenty of cars I can’t get comfortable in.

sonic

posted on 13/1/21 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
i fitted some Stance + adjustable coil overs off ebay on my 225 and it handled really well, they were cheap as well, very good quality
mikeb

posted on 14/1/21 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
That’s interesting on the stance plus kit, they do an ultra with zinc plated and I think updated oil seals. I hadn’t considered them as I thought they were too cheap to be any good. We’re you happy with the kit?
sonic

posted on 14/1/21 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes really good kit and quality, look good as well.

Just make sure on the std front dampers you can get the nut off the top under the bonnet. mine was siezed and was a barsteward to shift. you have to hold the centre with an allen key and use a deep dish ring spanner and i rounded the allen key off trying to shift the nut even tried a air impact tool and it wouldnt shift. i cut the shocker off in the end

mikeb

posted on 14/1/21 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Will take a look, it had new top mount a couple of months ago so hoping they might not be seized.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.