Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A very obscure question - adhesive related
johnH20

posted on 26/8/21 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
A very obscure question - adhesive related

I have to repair a swimming pool cover, this is probably over 10 years old but would be very expensive to replace as it is a custom shape. The cover is a fine mesh heavy duty plastic ( nylon? ) and consists of multiple panels with reinforcing webbing. The problem is that age and most likely UV ( its in the south of France ) has caused the stitching of some panels to degrade resulting in big splits in the cover. I tried a repair a couple of years ago using strips of similar mesh fabric approx 70mm wide and neoprene glue ( recommended by pool shop ). This only lasted a couple of years. I now face a bigger job. Not wanting to repeat my failure I am looking for an improved adhesive. Must be waterproof, chlorine resistant , UV resistant and provide good shear strength. Anyone know what it could be? TIA

[Edited on 26/8/21 by johnH20]

[Edited on 26/8/21 by johnH20]

HowardB

posted on 26/8/21 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Try the people that make lorry covers,. even a custom shape can be created by cutting and welding the fabric.

Sorry I can't recommend anyone but I used to get some really fantastic bits of geometry created by having the flat patterns welded.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ReMan

posted on 26/8/21 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ha! We love an obscure question here
Cant help at all but its an 8 from me

give us a clue what expensive means?
I see there are a few UK companies that make custom pool covers

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/8/21 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
That does sound like truck cover tarpaulin. My trailer tent is made from it but has all the seams heat welded. I would take it along to a local cover manufacturer and ask their opinion. They'll have all the glues, welding and sewing equipment needed. Many years ago I got our local one to modify and fit a new back window into my beach buggy hood and they did an amazing job and were not expensive.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 27/8/21 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Try Structureflex at Cromer - they do lorry dropside stuff - and boat covers - and advertising signs and ... They made me a cover for my yacht, very reasonable price and very durable. They don't use heat to weld the surfaces together they use some sonic device that really holds them permanently. Worth a call at least

indykid

posted on 27/8/21 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Try Structureflex at Cromer - they do lorry dropside stuff - and boat covers - and advertising signs and ... They made me a cover for my yacht, very reasonable price and very durable. They don't use heat to weld the surfaces together they use some sonic device that really holds them permanently. Worth a call at least

That strictly is heat welding, it's just very localised friction welding at the interface.

You don't say how big the cover is, but would it be feasible to hand stitch it? I've found once you get going on a job like that, it goes pretty quickly and I've always found stitching things like garden furniture with UV resistant bouncy castle thread is far longer lasting than adhesives.

If you want to use adhesives, I'd probably try patch both sides of the cover to stop it peeling from the centre.

russbost

posted on 27/8/21 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John, if it's a mesh that a glue can get into the spaces in the mesh, then I would have thought Siroflex would be as good as anything. If you overlay another piece of mesh so it gives an overlap each side of the split & use a spreader to push the sealer into the mesh then it would effectively bond the 2 halves together. Maybe "seal" the underside with duct tape until the sealant has gone off - about 24 hours. It's what I use to bond the wheel arches onto the support stays on the Furore

Link

It's available in black white or grey, Oli (furore Products) sells it, if you're going to be at the breakfast meet or any shows I'm going to in near future I could pick some up for you & save the postage. It's one of few sealants that's petrol resistant, so I wouldn't have thought chlorine would be an issue, it's original use was to seal windscreens in place, so would be completely UV stable

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 27/8/21 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Been pointed out to me that unless it specifically mentions chlorine resistant on the tube, then that's always going to be a guess, but I can't imagine you're going to find anything mentioning chlorine resistant unless it was specifically intended for pools etc, & I can't think of anything you'd use on a pool assembly that would remain flexible once set - obviously if there is such a product then that's going to be what you want.

Possibly worth talking to some pool installation peeps?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
johnH20

posted on 28/8/21 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Russ, I was thinking along similar lines as I posed the question. I was unsure that a PU based adhesive would be best. I did not realise I had a problem until I arrived here ( France ) and I need to get it fixed before I return. I will have to find a local source, Sikaflex is a world wide brand I think.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.