Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: manual tyre changer devices - any good?
MikeR

posted on 2/1/22 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
manual tyre changer devices - any good?

I've got far too many tyres. Fitted to far to many wheels (let's just stop counting at 16 and accept it's to many. I just can't resist collecting stuff)

To store them it would be easier if they didn't have the old rubbish tyres on them.

Machine mart and eBay do a manual tyre changer like the one in the link. On eBay they're around 50 quid, someone local is selling one for 40.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/draper-mtc100-manual-tyre-changer/

I know they need a different removal bar for alloys.

Has anyone used them? Are they any good? Is there any alternatives to the expensive alloy removal bar?

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/1/22 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a basic one for 15 years. The bead breaker is not always easy. But there is a knack.
I made a bar for alloys, copied off an ebay special, and it works brilliantly. I can't find the one I copied at the moment....

Sanzomat

posted on 2/1/22 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these. The bar that comes with them is pretty much useless other than for ruining alloys, splitting the tyre bead and knocking your teeth out! You need to bolt them down to a concrete floor to work. I made a support for a duck head for mine - the swivel mount off my engine stand fits nicely over the central shaft and gives a flat platform to bolt a bit of square tube to and then a vertical 28mm round tube on exhaust clamps to drop the duck head off. It then works great using the original lever to push the tube holding the duck head around. With these mods (that only cost me about £25) I've done many tyres with complete success. Also good to cut up some old tyres to use as padding below and above the central clamp to prevent damage to the centre bore.

[Edited on 2/1/22 by Sanzomat]

MikeR

posted on 2/1/22 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sanzomat - I've no idea what you mean with the duck head (although I do have an engine stand). Do you have any pictures?

Clifty - how did you make the plastic backing bit that rubs against the alloy? Seeing the pictures it surprised me as i'd anticipate having a bearing rolling on the alloy rim not a bit of plastic. Again, would love some pictures if possible of what you made.

ReMan

posted on 3/1/22 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
Why don't you just pop into a local friendly, like AL tyres perhaps and talk to them? Bet they would whip them off for not much cash.

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 3/1/22 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Why don't you just pop into a local friendly, like AL tyres perhaps and talk to them? Bet they would whip them off for not much cash.

Spot on

I've used a local Kwik Fit place who are pretty friendly and helpful with exactly this. They'll often balance the fitted tyre wheel combo too. A few packs of biscuists always goes down well for their tea breaks.

I'm also lucky enough to have a neighbour who's an Audi mechanic and has done a few for me over the years for £0 and the odd beer.

Ask around, there's people/businesses who'll help for little to no money.

MikeR

posted on 3/1/22 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've only ever used Britannia tyres since moving down here. Last time i asked them it was something like £5 a tyre to remove them.

I'll ask AL the next time I'm driving past.

Sanzomat

posted on 3/1/22 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Sanzomat - I've no idea what you mean with the duck head (although I do have an engine stand). Do you have any pictures?

Clifty - how did you make the plastic backing bit that rubs against the alloy? Seeing the pictures it surprised me as i'd anticipate having a bearing rolling on the alloy rim not a bit of plastic. Again, would love some pictures if possible of what you made.

For the duck head I bought something like this ebay duck head

The mods I did are similar to this one but used the engine stand part over the centre as the inside diameter was very close to the outside diameter of the tyre changer post. With a bit of lube it turns nicely. Bolted connections rather than welded so fully dismantleable. Not pretty to look at but works!
Tyre changer mods

pigeondave

posted on 3/1/22 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a garden spade and some metal bars.
I'm not light at it was a real PITA to do the beads. Wrecked the wheels but they were being weighed in (TSW Blades).

For the Fury I go to my local place that was charging £8-10 a wheel. Fit, balance and dispose of the old one. You can't just take them down the dump now, they charge you by the tyre and the local dump is something stupid like £5.

So if you are getting the changer, make sure you can dump them as you don't want another PITA getting rid.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 3/1/22 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've looked up disposal, supposedly I can get it for £1.25. the local dump won't take then even if you pay ☹️
Sanzomat

posted on 4/1/22 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Seems like a postcode lottery. I used to get my tyres fitted at a local independent tyre place for £5 but since they closed down I've tried at several and they all say they won't fit used tyres due to some insurance problem or suchlike. Might just be they don't want to encourage the part-worn trade but the national chain branches all said exactly the same almost like it was read from a script. I get my track tyres 2nd hand (mostly slicks but some semi's as wets). I found one other independent that would fit them but they wanted £15 a corner and as I often get used slicks for around £25 and they usually need turning on the rims half way through the 4-5 track days I get out of them that doubled the cost. That's why I tried a manual machine at home and with the mods it works fine. I can even static balance them with an old Paddy Hopkirk bubble balancer!
My local tip takes tyres with no charge. The rules say no more than four tyres per household per year but I don't see how they check this.

nick205

posted on 4/1/22 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Getting rid of old tyres is a good point - my local tip (Household Recycling Centre as they like to call themselves) won't take them.

I guess they don't want the hassle/cost of getting rid of them.

They probably work on the basis the majority of people will be going to a tyre fitting place that supply and fit new tyres as well as dispose of old tyres.

pewe

posted on 4/1/22 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I bought one but have never used it - Autosolos are much less destructive on tyres than I imagined.
I had intended to mount the base on a pallet, suitably reinforced, so at least its kind of moveable.
Anyone want to buy a tyre changing machine??

peter030371

posted on 4/1/22 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just to remove scrap tyres I find a hacksaw easier than the manual tyre machine
cliftyhanger

posted on 5/1/22 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I bought a small (a4?) sheet of HD polythene, attached bits using countersunk machine screws. Does not wear fast, and plenty left to make more "buffer strips"

I will drop you a U2U re pics

coyoteboy

posted on 6/1/22 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I checked in with all my local usual tyre companies and they refuse to fit tyres they've not supplied. This wasn't the case a few years ago and this time I got caught out unable to get it done

Dodgy backstreet places will, but you're still talking a tenner per corner without balancing and some grumpy faces.

[Edited on 6/1/22 by coyoteboy]

ReMan

posted on 6/1/22 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've looked up disposal, supposedly I can get it for £1.25. the local dump won't take then even if you pay ☹️

But if you creep over the border and hide your LCFC sticker, then Cov city tip still let you dump them for free!
(Not sure how many they would object to)

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

indykid

posted on 7/1/22 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a decent size vice, it's not hard to break beads in that. My record 24 will do up to 205 wide tyres as long as the profile isn't too tall.

Once the beads are broken, slit through the sidewalls with a stanley to separate the tread from the bead. Hacksaw through the tread (lubricate with 50:50 water and washing up liquid or the blade will stick and it gets really old really quick).

If you've got a few to do, on the first tyre just slit the sidewalls and leave the tread as a ring. The treads from 3 other tyres then roll inside the 4th....and then I hear 4 15" tyres will go in a black bin bag and will sit in the bottom of a wheelie bin and get collected with your household waste.

Beads will either shuffle off the rim as one or if they're too stiff, stick a bit of steel behind the bead to protect the wheel and slit it with an angle grinder.

It's not the fastest method, but if we placed any financial value on our free time, we wouldn't be building our own cars....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.