Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some XE questions
ruudbeckers

posted on 4/5/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Some XE questions

I have a few questions about my XE engine:
1) I am going to make a manifold for my gixxer tb's. Now I was wondering if I also have to make a connection for the water outlet next to the first inlet port or that I can just close it. (I am also going to close the outlet on the side of the head). I do i also have to make some sort of valve to release the air?

2) I am going to order a bellhousing for a type 9 conversion from yukspeed, but what other parts do I need? And can I use the clutch fork from my type 9 gearbox, or do I need another fork?

Cheers, Ruud

ned

posted on 4/5/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
My throttle bodies block the water outlet by no.1 on the head. i have drilled this as i needed to relocate the water temp sensor. My understanding is that its just used as a bleed point to stop any air pockets in the head.

by the other water outlet on the side of the head i assume you mean the heater outlet on the back? This can be blocked up with a core plug or piece of ally plate the appropriate size fixed in with locktite (this is what i've done)

I'm using a hydraulic clutch as it means you can get the engine further back in the chassis for better front/rear balance as otherwis the clutch fork fowls the tunnel opening/master cylinders.

You can get a type9 fork modified by yukspeed i gather or the one that fits direct is an rs2000 one i think but they are like hens teeth.
You may also need a release bearing to suit the fork and may need a spigot for the crank along with a different clutch plate to suit the ford spline pattern.

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to confirm/correct the above.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulvdk

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ruud, my advice:

Order a complete set including fork, bolts and bearings.

What enginemanagement are you going to use on your XE?

ruudbeckers

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to use a megasquirt with the wheel decoding option, but I'm still looking for a lm1815 and a coil pack.

Which parts do I need when I want a hydraulic clutch? Perhaps from a omega gearbox or so?

Ruud.

chrsgrain

posted on 4/5/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just bang an omega 'box onto it! No clever bell housings or anything and a concentric hydraulic clutch....

I happen to have a spare one in the garage!

Chris

Though I expect postage would be more than its worth!

[Edited on 4/5/06 by chrsgrain]

MikeRJ

posted on 4/5/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm missing something, but how are you converting between the round throttle body and the oval port if the TB's are going to mate directly into that plate? Surely there will be a very large step between the two?
ruudbeckers

posted on 5/5/06 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Instead of using a part of the original manifold, I rather make a complete new manifold. I think this will look a little bit nicer and will flow also better. I also think it will also be easier to make, as I don't have to block the four holes for the injectors and don't have to cut the original manifold. Probably I am going to make the manifold out of steel, or I'll have to find someone who can weld alloy for me.

Ruud.

NS Dev

posted on 5/5/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Easier to use the modified stub of the std manifold. Personally I would block the holes in the bike throttle bodies, and use the vauxhall/opel injectors in the original positions and with the original fuel rail etc.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 5/5/06 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Easier to use the modified stub of the std manifold. Personally I would block the holes in the bike throttle bodies, and use the vauxhall/opel injectors in the original positions and with the original fuel rail etc.

Potentialy more power with the injectors further back though!

ned

posted on 5/5/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Potentialy more power with the injectors further back though!

only at higher revs though. lower revs and the injector aiming at teh back of the valve improves efficiency and eceonomy. over 8000-8500 rpm you want to have a second set of injectors before the butterflies to get the best atomisation at high rpm with faster breathing down the inlet tract.

Ned.

ps of course second set of injectors are only used at full throttle,wouldn't want fuel being squirted at partially open butterflies lol

pps:

twin injectors 300bhp
twin injectors 300bhp

[Edited on 5/5/06 by ned]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 5/5/06 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yea, I'd be wary of mounting the injectors too far from the head. On a lot of back to back tests (that I have read about and spoken to folks in our racing club who run engine building concerns) the injectors mounted further back (how far I don;t know) suffered from pretty poor (very poor in some cases) part throttle driveablility due to fuel drop-out.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 5/5/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

I wouldn't worry, the injectors on my qed direct to head bodies are further back than standard i believe. There is a set of mounting points nearer to the head on them supposedly for a second set but they are not drilled as standard and as already said a second set needs to be mounted further up the inlet tract for high rpm breathing. Injector position is always going to be a compromise in one sense with economy vs performance vs rpm range. ideally you'd want the injector position to move along with the rpm, at the same time that the inlet tract changes and the exhaust lengths change if you wanted to get the ultimate torque/bhp for a given rpm.

Some f1 teams have gone some way to achieving this - I have seen a fuel system on an f1 engine where the length of the inlet trumpets changed as the revs rose!

30mm or just over an inch is going to make no noticable difference to the running of your engine.

Ned.

ps my qed bodies here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1096.jpg

[Edited on 5/5/06 by ned]

NS Dev

posted on 6/5/06 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, 30mm will certainly be no prob.

MikeRJ

posted on 6/5/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
The later GSXR throttle bodies had a much steeper injector angle which deliberately injects part of the fuel spray onto the butterfly. Apparently this improves fuel atomisation over the earlier injectors with the injector pointing more towards the port.

They also have the secondary butterflies which is supposed to help part throttle response. I'm not going to permanently block mine...could be a nice project to play with once I get it running.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.