Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Thermostat Housing
Cheffy

posted on 25/6/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Thermostat Housing

Hi Guys,

I've been searching around the site for a while but can't find a definitive answer to my question.

I've got a 2.0L Zetec blacktop which I believe came out of a 2000 'W' reg Mondeo.

The thermostat housing has a sensor in the top which has a retaining clip (as opposed to being threaded)

At the bottom of the housing where the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge should be there is a round shaped collar/housing that the sensor would mount in, but there is no sensor the actual hole is blanked off.

Sorry, bottom, pic isn't too clever...

Stat housing 1
Stat housing 1

Stat housing 2
Stat housing 2

Stat housing 3
Stat housing 3

There is however a sensor in the cylinder head at the back of the engine on the inlet side - is this an alternative location for the sensor for the temperature gauge? (I haven't got the Haynes Mondeo manual yet so can't check in there)

Most Megasquirt installations as far as I know use the top sensor in the stat housing for the Megasquirt and the lower sensor for the temp gauge on the dash.

In which case am I right in thinking I can use the sensor in the top of the thermostat housing to feed the Megasquirt as usual and just leave the sensor in the cylinder head wired as it is for the gauge? Or do I need to get a housing that has both sensors in it? If so, which vehicles had them?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 25/6/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I just got a housing from a silvertop and bolted that up. It's a straight swap.

Drilled and tapped a plug into the upper sender location for the Emerald, and used the standard lower thread for my dash sender.

Stephen

stevebubs

posted on 25/6/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There is however a sensor in the cylinder head at the back of the engine on the inlet side - is this an alternative location for the sensor for the temperature gauge? (I haven't got the Haynes Mondeo manual yet so can't check in there)

This is a Cam Phase sensor. Not going to be much use for water temp.

stevebubs

posted on 25/6/08 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you're in Reading at any point, you're welcome to come and have a nosy at my install.
Cheffy

posted on 25/6/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This is a Cam Phase sensor. Not going to be much use for water temp.

Oops! Okey dokey won't try using that then!

Thanks Stephen, I'll get the silver top one.

May well take you up on your offer of a trip down as well.

Cheers,

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 25/6/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
car's off the road at the moment, but mechanically in running order. Just missing random bits of bodywork (and MOT/Tax)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.