Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.6 pinto?
paul_mcq

posted on 14/1/04 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
1.6 pinto?

is the 1.6 tunable as much as th two lr?
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/1/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO thats a stuuuuppppiiiiiddddd question

1.6 = 75hp

2.0 (efi) = 115 hp

AS STANDARD

you would have to tune the 1.6 a friggin lot to get to the point you would have started with using a 2.0

hmmmm

atb

steve

[Edited on 14/1/04 by stephen_gusterson]

greggors84

posted on 15/1/04 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
You mite not be able to get as much power out of the 1.6 but im guessing he means will certain upgrades give the same power increase (percentage wise) whatever engine you use.

Or maybe not...

[Edited on 15/1/04 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/1/04 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
and the point of that would be.....

atb

steve

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/04 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Now, now, Steve... don't get snappy!

To answer the question properly, you can tune a 1600 Pinto, but it's unproductive - as Steve says, the 2 litre is already more powerful and there are a lot more tuning options available. The 1600 lump is only fractionally smaller physically than the 2 litre (about 1" less height) but just the same weight, so generally you're on a loser.

If you want 1600 then you'd be better of getting a X-flow (much smaller and lighter, with tons of tuning options) or, best of all, a Toyota 4-AGE engine that has 135BHP out of the box and fits straight in.

A bike engine is also a good option, although I believe that the insurance companies are getting canny about those - they're starting to realise what's going on!

regards,

David

greggors84

posted on 15/1/04 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
When i was first looking at a kit car, i was dead set on a 1.6 for insurance reasons (only being 19) but then i was offered a 155bhp 2.0l for £275 with everything including twin webber 45s. I found out it was only about £150 more on the insurance, so i thought it was worth the extra money.

I know a couple of people on here who are going for 1.6s because of insurance. A 4age adds to the expense, i didnt think about the 1.6 xflow, but the pinto means you can have a single donor if you are going the sierra parts route.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

sebastiaan

posted on 15/1/04 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh... but whack a 2.0 litre head on a 1.6, bolt on a turbo and ye're on to a winner! (2.0 head has bigger combustion chambers hence lower comp. ratio)

Naturally i've got a 1.6 in my indy so i would be the last to say it can't be done...

No, but seriously, get a 2 litre andrun that dog standard. should be better and more reliable than a tuned 1.6

locoboy

posted on 15/1/04 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
If insurance companies get a whiff of anything turbo charged in a se7en i am sure they will whack the premium right up, so no real saving by going 1.6 bottom end and 2.0 head with turbo, seeing as many people go with the 1.6 for insurance reasons.

[Edited on 15/1/04 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.