Board logo

MX5 Haynes Roadster ball joints.
tom225 - 13/1/19 at 09:42 PM

Hi guys.

Hoping some one may he able to help.

Currently planning out an MX5 based Haynes Roadster

My donor will probably be a mk2 MX5 and wondering if some one could help.

On the hunt for the correct ball joints to use for the front upper wishbones.

I know its a BMW 5 series one for use with Mk1 MX5 uprights but dont think these fit the mk2.

I know the MK Indy RX-5 uses a mk2 donor and these are the ball joints they list.

http://www.mksportscars.com/mk-indy-rx-5-top-ball-joint-drag-link.html?SID=mjsn0s8o3127r0hkl6re9r0dt0

But dont fancy paying them £40 a pair when they are probably only a tenner down the local motor factors.

Thanks for the help.
Tom

Charlie C - 14/1/19 at 09:41 AM

As far as i can tell is the Mk1/Mk2/Mk2.5 front upper wish bones are differant in construction but the ball joint is the same.

The Saturn Sports Cars haynes roadster MX5 doner plans list 3 series BMW insert Motaquip part number – PVTR325

tom225 - 14/1/19 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie C
As far as i can tell is the Mk1/Mk2/Mk2.5 front upper wish bones are differant in construction but the ball joint is the same.

The Saturn Sports Cars haynes roadster MX5 doner plans list 3 series BMW insert Motaquip part number – PVTR325

CHEERS!! Wasnt 100% sure

PorkChop - 14/1/19 at 08:01 PM

The ball joint is not the same between the mark 1 and 2. The tapered fitting on the mk 2 upright is significantly thicker. The OEM MX-5 wishbones are not the same either and aren't swappable without changing the upright.

Charlie C - 15/1/19 at 07:26 AM

I stand corrected, you learn something new every day.

Slimy38 - 15/1/19 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
The ball joint is not the same between the mark 1 and 2. The tapered fitting on the mk 2 upright is significantly thicker. The OEM MX-5 wishbones are not the same either and aren't swappable without changing the upright.

I was aware of the fitting being thicker, but I thought that just meant the ball joint protruded through a bit further? You still use the same BMW balljoint?

PorkChop - 15/1/19 at 09:40 AM

No, it's the other way around, the BMW TRE is too short.

Replicar328 - 17/11/20 at 01:15 PM

I wanted to be sure the http://www.mksportscars.com/mk-indy-rx-5-top-ball-joint-drag-link.html?SID=mjsn0s8o3127r0hkl6re9r0dt0 ball joints were a correct fit for the MX5 uprights so I checked before ordering and have just received the two I ordered. They are not exactly the same which I found disappointing as they are indeed rather expensive. I'd post a picture if I could figure out how!

One was in a sealed bag with the Ridex part number 914T0184 on it.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ridex/8221506 at £4.17 seems a reasonable price, but they are shown as out of stock and I didn't check the postage. Worth searching elsewhere.

Am I allowed to say, I think MK's margin seems excessive, especially as they can't be bothered to inspect the parts shipped?