Board logo

Childs car seat in a fiberglass seat
Daf - 12/1/18 at 02:54 PM

Has anyone managed to successfully fit some type of child's car seat into a fiberglass seat? I have a 4 year old son who is desperate to come out for a ride in "daddy's fast black car!" Any thoughts - our standard car seat is wider than the space between transmission tunnel and the side of the car

Slater - 12/1/18 at 04:38 PM

You can buy a cheap one that is made from hard expanded polystyrene, remove the fabric cover then trim the foam to suit your fibreglass seat.

However, I think you are not supposed to alter these safety devices...... if you do.......ensure you are 100% comfortable with putting your child in a modified booster seat.

Will your harness hold the wee lad in if the worst happens?

Just some thoughts.

hobbsy - 12/1/18 at 10:08 PM

Do you have an ISOFIX seat available?

If so you could whip your fibreglass seat out and bolt this to the chassis and or floor maybe:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FORD-Focus-ISOfix-Child-Seat-Bracket-2004-2011/162376567515

It was I was going to do but never got around to it before I sold the kit.

Daf - 12/1/18 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Do you have an ISOFIX seat available?

If so you could whip your fibreglass seat out and bolt this to the chassis and or floor maybe:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FORD-Focus-ISOfix-Child-Seat-Bracket-2004-2011/162376567515

It was I was going to do but never got around to it before I sold the kit.

That's not a bad idea, I'll need a new seat cause the one we have is wider than the chassis rails!

ianhurley20 - 12/1/18 at 10:43 PM

I have rear seats from a Renault Scenic fitted which have isofix fittings. The outer seats are 44cm wide which fits my seven but the central seat is much narrower and they cost Ģ20 for all of them. If you are near me I have a spare center seat which you can have if you collect (and an outer as well)

Angel Acevedo - 15/1/18 at 01:08 AM

Could you not make a Bagged Polyestyrene Seat?
It has been discussed here.
if itīs good enough for IVA and racing, should be good enough for a 4 year old.
I think of greater importance is the way Seat Belts interact with your son...

jeffw - 15/1/18 at 06:16 AM

The shoulder belts mountings need to be level or slightly below the height of the shoulders. If you can't achieve that the belts will not work correctly, how ever hard you tighten them.

Mr Whippy - 15/1/18 at 07:23 AM

I think the simple and safe answer is no!

that is totally unsuitable

I take my 3 & 4 year olds in my 1982 landy, however I have fitted normal car seats and 3 point belts so that they are held correctly in the car in their booster seats. It sounds like the 7 is just too narrow even if you replaced the GRP ones. Modern (legal) kids booster seats are all very wide and old style booster cushions and no longer permitted.

[Edited on 15/1/18 by Mr Whippy]

Daf - 15/1/18 at 08:00 AM

I agree that unless I can get an unmodified car seat into it then it's a non starter, my first point of call is to get down to Mothercare with a tape measure I think - the car seat we have is enormous and a quick google does reveal narrower ones are available. I have no intention of doing anything unsafe or illegal with the most valuable thing in my life (son not car) - if there's any doubt then I wont be doing it, simples! But it's at least worth looking into.

Interesting what you said jeffw about the shoulder straps, child's car seats have slots for you to thread the top bit of a 3 point belt to reduce the belts height - I was thinking that both shoulder straps could go through these and achieve the same result.

Bagged polystyrene seat is a complete non starter mainly because it would involve him sitting still whilst it's made - and that's never going to happen

SJ - 15/1/18 at 08:49 AM

I've got Cobra Roadster 7 seats in my Indy. I took my kids with a booster for around 5 though only locally and at low speed.

Personally I'd be much more concerned about whether you have a full windscreen than the legality or otherwise of a booster seat, because a pebble in the eye is much more out of your control than an accident.

scootz - 15/1/18 at 03:47 PM

I'm probably an over-worrying killjoy, but I'd be very reluctant to take kids in a 7 type vehicle - they're just so vulnerable inside a low-down space-frame.

It's nothing to do with the 7-pilots skill, and everything to do with the other daydreamers using the road.

Another pet hate of mine is seeing a wee-toot in a 7-style car using an adult harness. That's ninja-level stupidity!

I'm happy to risk my own health driving 'fun' vehicles, but I don't want to take the responsibility for anyone else. I was the same with my motorbikes - I never once took a pillion-passenger.

My wife's car... a Volvo!

SJ - 15/1/18 at 05:16 PM

quote:

I'm probably an over-worrying killjoy, but I'd be very reluctant to take kids in a 7 type vehicle - they're just so vulnerable inside a low-down space-frame.

It's nothing to do with the 7-pilots skill, and everything to do with the other daydreamers using the road.

Another pet hate of mine is seeing a wee-toot in a 7-style car using an adult harness. That's ninja-level stupidity!

I'm happy to risk my own health driving 'fun' vehicles, but I don't want to take the responsibility for anyone else. I was the same with my motorbikes - I never once took a pillion-passenger.

My wife's car... a Volvo!

Maybe you are being a bit over cautious! I still remember my dad picking me up from primary school on the back of his motorbike! Mind you going on the back of a motorbike was probably one of the least dangerous things I did as an 8 year old, and none of my many visits to A&E ever involved motorised transport!