Board logo

Handbrake for reverse trike - suggestions.
dan8400 - 16/9/17 at 04:17 PM

Hi everyone

I am starting a reverse trike build based on a zx9r. I just wondered how I would do he handbrake. I either need some front calipers that can be made to use a handbrake or add a calipers to the bike rear wheel / disc.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm planning on using sierra front uprights and locost suspension.

Thanks
Dan

jps - 16/9/17 at 06:24 PM

If it were shaft drive to the back wheel I'd say could you have something that locks the prop? Is there anything equivalent that can be done with a chain drive?

JAG - 16/9/17 at 08:29 PM

A reverse-trike would be light enough to use some rear axle calipers off a car with an integrated park brake - on the front axle.

Running a park-brake cable to each front wheel is simple enough.

That's what I would do

dan8400 - 16/9/17 at 08:32 PM

Thanks for that Justin.

Is there anything in the Ford 'parts bin' that will bolt straight on? Sierra rears?

Thanks
Dan

bart - 16/9/17 at 10:27 PM

I'm using a small spot caliper from hi spec on mine , mounted separately on rear disk.
manual operation (law) enough to lock rear wheel.

craigdiver - 17/9/17 at 07:25 AM

My motorbike, an Aprilia Mana 850, has a handbrake fitted as standard. It has a second caliper mounted next to the main caliper.

JC - 17/9/17 at 07:34 AM

You might be able to use the Rally Design/VW calipers? On my midi they bolt straight on to the Fiesta upright I am using.

luke2152 - 17/9/17 at 07:54 AM

I've seen a show bike with a caliper operating on the back sprocket. It would be utterly ridiculous as a service brake due to all the chain lube but might be ok for a parking brake.

froggy - 17/9/17 at 08:56 AM

I've got a pair of new mechanical spot calipers that i don't need £50 plus postage

dan8400 - 17/9/17 at 09:02 AM

You have u2u Froggy.

Thanks
Dan

blue2cv - 18/9/17 at 07:06 AM

Im sure i have a Wilwood spot caliper still boxed going spare too if anyone needs one

Angel Acevedo - 18/9/17 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
A reverse-trike would be light enough to use some rear axle calipers off a car with an integrated park brake - on the front axle.

Running a park-brake cable to each front wheel is simple enough.

That's what I would do

Do you think the Cable and sleeves would be OK with all the Up-and-down and twisting required for steering?
I would think not.
The Cable sleeves on my donor are pretty stiff...
Maybe on a lighter car they are thinner and more flexible and more suitable.