Board logo

Araldite or super glue?
johnH20 - 14/1/18 at 07:04 PM

This is a Locost question of a different kind! I have domestic tap in my French holiday home which has failed. The tap is a mixer that utilises up/down ( on/off ) with rotational side to side ( hot/cold ) movements. This has failed where the lever meets the central spherical control. Needless to say spares are unavailable. Rather than employ a French plumber to source and fit a replacement tap ( mega Euros ) I am looking to a Locost repair solution. The lever has failed due to corrosion / fatigue at the attachment to the ball joint where the section is approx. 1 mm thick. The lever is chrome plated zinc alloy as far as I can tell.
I have cleaned the part with formic acid and used a Dremel to remove all corrosion. My plan is to superglue the two pieces together across the narrow section and then reinforce with some 1 mm stainless steel plates over the joint. The question is what adhesive should I use for this? Potential issues include thermal expansion, chemical adhesion as well as shear strength. Answers on a postcard as they say, TIA.

froggy - 14/1/18 at 07:26 PM

Innotec topfix black , weapon of choice at my garage for gluing anything that gets warm etc , probably loads of similar ones about but it goes off very quickly and touch wood not had anything fail yet

cliftyhanger - 15/1/18 at 08:11 AM

Can you not replace the tap yourself? The monobloc taps are available from £15 upwards (but buy a decent branded one, still cheap especially off ebay etc or £40ish from screwfix/toolstation)
Fitting is straightforward, especially if you spend a fiver on a set of tap box spanners to get to the awkward to access nut. A deep socket set may well do the trick, the nuts are usually 8-11mm and from what I have seen virtually everything is fitted with screw-in flexi hoses.

BenB - 15/1/18 at 08:26 AM

C'est un job pour la JB weld n'est pas?

Mash - 15/1/18 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Can you not replace the tap yourself? The monobloc taps are available from £15 upwards (but buy a decent branded one, still cheap especially off ebay etc or £40ish from screwfix/toolstation)
Fitting is straightforward, especially if you spend a fiver on a set of tap box spanners to get to the awkward to access nut. A deep socket set may well do the trick, the nuts are usually 8-11mm and from what I have seen virtually everything is fitted with screw-in flexi hoses.

x2, buy a tap here, take it over there, fit it, job's a good un

Even if you have to do a bit of "locost" to make it fit, you'll still end up with a better tap....