Board logo

Bars Leaks
johnH20 - 20/5/18 at 11:01 AM

I have discovered my radiator has a minor leak, barely visible. I know this will mean a replacement rad at some time but I would rather put that off till the winter. In the 'old days' there was something called Bars Leaks that I remember using on an old Ford Anglia. Does this still exist and more importantly will it compromise the rest of my cooling system in any way?

johnH20 - 20/5/18 at 11:11 AM

Sort of answered my own question ( Google is your friend ). Yes it is available but some horror videos on Utube so I will not be using it. BE WARNED!

steve m - 20/5/18 at 03:56 PM

Pour a raw egg in the filler does exactly the same thing

steve

russbost - 20/5/18 at 04:23 PM

John

Use K seal, it's not destructive in terms of blocking waterways etc. like Bars is, & has an excellent reputation - the AA carry it as a roadside repair I believe!

Russ

johnH20 - 20/5/18 at 06:09 PM

Thanks Russ. I will give K Seal a try. By the way are you reading LB in Vietnam or are you back from your hols?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 20/5/18 at 06:22 PM

Plus one for k seal

russbost - 20/5/18 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
Thanks Russ. I will give K Seal a try. By the way are you reading LB in Vietnam or are you back from your hols?

I'm back!

907 - 21/5/18 at 06:08 AM

I wouldn't use any of those snake oils. We'll be cracking eggs into brake fluid reservoirs next.

I've just bought a rad for an MX5. £49 inc p&p. Why mess about?

Angel Acevedo - 21/5/18 at 07:26 PM

Where´s the leak...
In the old days you would strip a tube of its cooling fins and cut the tube near the leak (or at the leak) and fold it a couple of times with a needle nose plier.
Don´t know if it works with ali rads.
HTH

Schrodinger - 22/5/18 at 08:35 AM

I'm not sure where you are but http://www.sheldrakeandwells.co.uk/
in ipswich have repaired and modified rads for me in the past.

SPYDER - 22/5/18 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Pour a raw egg in the filler does exactly the same thing

steve

Soon to feature in Heston Blumenthal's new book, " Roadside Cooking".

Page 7.

"Eggs a la Locost"

Cost to make, £250 of course!