Board logo

BROKEN WINDOW ........
robinsoncrusoe55 - 27/5/18 at 04:40 PM

Had a side window damaged by a neighbours contracted gardener whilst cutting their grass....
Do I take it as .... " one of those things" ..... or chase for compensation at all.

Was just accepting it as bad luck ..... but what do you think. ?

[Edited on 28/5/18 by robinsoncrusoe55]

CosKev3 - 27/5/18 at 04:54 PM

If the gardener was a decent person they would cover the replacement, either with his insurance or out of his pocket if he doesn't want to claim

ReMan - 27/5/18 at 05:09 PM

Compensation? or a replacement glass?
Does he know he's done it already?
Or have you just noticed?

As said, not unreasonable two replace the glass if it was brought to his attentional the time.
After the event you cold be just a chancer (not saying you are)

I had some DG panes replaced recently and I was surprised how cheap they werer
7 different sizes including a frosted one, fitted for £300

Lastly, is it a neighbour, or the people in the house next door? Things can soon go south

robinsoncrusoe55 - 27/5/18 at 05:41 PM

Thanks both for the reply....

noticed after the gardener had left

Sorry when I said compensation, I mean't perhaps a donation towards the cost of replacement of the glass.

Great price on you dg glass replacement!!

Got the car window replaced for £95

Simon - 28/5/18 at 12:42 PM

He broke it, he replaces it - no compensation or contributions; just replacement - it'll only be the glass so that won't be expensive, but he'll also cover installation. Let neighbours know and they can arrange for him to get in touch.

907 - 28/5/18 at 02:11 PM

No offence intended but it sounds like your lucky enough to live in an affluent area, having people in to cut the grass.

Part of living in a nice place is putting up with the occasional mishap. Just think, you could live somewhere that gangs roam the streets at night.

Three weeks ago I was taking my wife to Addenbrookes, one of many trips, when on one of the short stretches of duel carriageway I overtook a lorry.

A stone flew up and took a big chip out of my screen. It didn't cross my mind that I should pull him over and ask for recompense.

Trust me. There are worse things that a bit of accidentally broken glass.

Paul G

[Edited on 28/5/18 by 907]

robinsoncrusoe55 - 28/5/18 at 06:50 PM

Thanks for the input Simon...... that's sounds fair and sensible to me.

907 ..... normally, when people say no offence inttended..... well....

couldn't be further from the truth..... definitely NOT AN affluent area !! ..... neighbour is not physically able to cut grass.....

not intending to upset neighbour....just get gardener to do the right thing.

We too, have our share of gangs/ vandalism etc, just like any other area, be it urban or rural !!

I think wether you live in an affluent area or otherwise, I come from age, where fair play,and doing the right thing,still mean a lot to me.

Like yourself ..... if I was driving and had glass damage,would most definitely,just accept it as an accident.

Fully agree, that there are things far worse than a damaged side window.

907 - 28/5/18 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robinsoncrusoe55
Thanks for the input Simon...... that's sounds fair and sensible to me.

907 ..... normally, when people say no offence inttended..... well....

couldn't be further from the truth..... definitely NOT AN affluent area !! ..... neighbour is not physically able to cut grass.....

not intending to upset neighbour....just get gardener to do the right thing.

We too, have our share of gangs/ vandalism etc, just like any other area, be it urban or rural !!

I think wether you live in an affluent area or otherwise, I come from age, where fair play,and doing the right thing,still mean a lot to me.

Like yourself ..... if I was driving and had glass damage,would most definitely,just accept it as an accident.

Fully agree, that there are things far worse than a damaged side window.

Whoops, sorry. Didn't realise your ".. neighbour is not physically able to cut grass.." Too old or ill I assume.

I also have elderly neighbours. He has an iffy spine, vertebra have been fused together in his neck so he can't look upward.
I was round there Saturday mending his Henderson up'n'over door as it had broken a support wire.
It's the landlords responsibility really but he's next to useless. Still sucking the silver spoon he was born with.
Like you say, we "come from age, where fair play,and doing the right thing,still mean a lot".

Hope it works out,
Paul G

robinsoncrusoe55 - 29/5/18 at 04:41 AM

Thanks Paul G .....

But I suppose if not .... it's just a window etc ....
All replaced and back to normal now.

Mr Whippy - 29/5/18 at 06:56 AM

the gardener if he's registered as a business should have 3rd party liability cover anyway. It would have been much easier if you had noticed while he was still there, presumably cutting the lawn at the time. It may be difficult if not impossible to prove it was related to him, he only needs to deny it and your on your own really.

mistergrumpy - 29/5/18 at 09:39 AM

I've had similar, though not sure about the damage, in that the neighbours gardener used to strim the borders and fire dirt and stones over my car and off my house window. I went to confront him and he peppered me too. I asked him to just strim in the other direction and fire the dirt into the householders wall but it was like talking to said wall. He did it a couple more times and peppered my dads car when he was round. My dad asked for his insurance details and a big argument started with me intervening. Anyhow, it transpires that it isn't unusual to smash windows and he'd had claims off his insurance in the past. I just think that you'd have trouble pinning the damage to him if you hadn't seen it happen.

robinsoncrusoe55 - 29/5/18 at 06:10 PM

Too true .... all about having proper proof really.
Still ..... it's the first side window, I've ever had to replace .....

hmmmm now I've said that.....

It seems like it was the gardeners issue, so don't particularly want to have arguments with neighbour.... not worth the hassle, just a bit painful to the pocket !!

Angel Acevedo - 29/5/18 at 10:17 PM

It just ocurred to me that it may be wise to let your neighbour about it just in case it happens again...

robinsoncrusoe55 - 30/5/18 at 06:19 PM

Yes ...'will definitely inform neighbour.

But this sort of thing, could..... and probably does,happen all the time, up and down the country.

Still haven't decided in my head, if anyone is really at fault.....

Not too happy with his choice, of ignoring what he had done though....bit sneaky etc.

gremlin1234 - 30/5/18 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Not too happy with his choice, of ignoring what he had done though....bit sneaky etc.
every chance that he didn't hear or see it break, strimmers etc are very noisy, and would be looking at his own 'job'

robinsoncrusoe55 - 31/5/18 at 08:49 PM

suppose it is possible that he didnt hear it above a noisy petrol mower....

but having paced towards the car at least 5 times, whilst cutting....

he must have looked up at some time, and seen the damaged window....