Board logo

Ford cvh sump depth
Christian DK - 26/4/18 at 06:41 PM

Hi!
I own a Locost with a cvh 1.6 engine.
My problem is ground clearance.
In the Haynes: ‘Build your own sports car on a budget’ there is a thorough instruction on how to reduce the depth of the sump on
a Pinto engine. Has somebody any experience on this subject. Does it work? Will it hold the oil pressure? And the capital question:
can you make the same alterations on a cvh 1.6 engine sump in order to gain some extra one or two inches in ground clearance?
Regards,
Christian DK

nick205 - 27/4/18 at 09:07 AM

Assuming the CVH sump is steel the same as the Pinto then follow the same instructions.

Welding thin steel can be tricky as you need to avoid heat distortion, but otherwise it's not a difficult job to do.

will121 - 2/6/18 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Christian DK
Hi!
I own a Locost with a cvh 1.6 engine.
My problem is ground clearance.
In the Haynes: ‘Build your own sports car on a budget’ there is a thorough instruction on how to reduce the depth of the sump on
a Pinto engine. Has somebody any experience on this subject. Does it work? Will it hold the oil pressure? And the capital question:
can you make the same alterations on a cvh 1.6 engine sump in order to gain some extra one or two inches in ground clearance?
Regards,
Christian DK

There is some photos in my archive of my chopped, baffled and winged sump, as above bit of a pain to do with a mig without leaks, but worked well in the end