Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Handbrake cables
limpetminer

posted on 7/12/23 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Handbrake cables

Does anyone know what the handbrake cables are from on early Indy with drum rear brakes? The handbrake end has a thread on end of cable, tried mk sports but they only do cables for disc brakes.
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/12/23 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think they are Sierra, with the white adjusters. Iirc all the early IRS rear cars were Sierra based, looks like this -

You should have two tabs on the chassis for the adjuster ends to lock in.

Description
Description

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 8/12/23 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I built an early MK Indy and it was Sierra based. Sierra rear drum brakes and it used a Sierra handbrake cable. I reused the Sierra handbrake lever too.

I had to modify the cable to shorten it as the MK Indy is way shorter than a Sierra.

Here's how I shortened the cable...

Rescued attachment img_3.jpg
Rescued attachment img_3.jpg

and another showing the white adjusters...

Rescued attachment img_1.jpg
Rescued attachment img_1.jpg

[Edited on 8/12/23 by nick205]

limpetminer

posted on 8/12/23 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
There are two separate cables one has white adjuster , the ends screw into handbrake lever, on the end of cable there is a nipple which is where cable is broken. I am hoping to crimp a new nipple to cable but can only find them in China . If I can’t identify cable will have to fit Sierra cables & shorten them as suggested.
nick205

posted on 8/12/23 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Mine was a single Ford Sierra handbrake cable. I cut the nipple off to shorten the cable and then clamped the ends together in the drilled bolt (as per my photo). The Sierra handbrake lever had a metal arc on it which the cable ran around (to balance the pull between L & R).

Have to say it was fairly simple and worked faultlessly. My drive is fairly steep and it held the car solid as a rock (brand new shoes, wheel cyclinders and pipework etc).

MikeR

posted on 8/12/23 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
how tight did you have to get the cable?

I've shortened mine and find i have to 'pull' the cable really tight before clamping and its a pig to setup. I do wonder if i've got something wrong in the brake drums.

nick205

posted on 9/12/23 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Fairly tight, but easy to setup. Remember it's a Ford Sierra.

Follow a Haynes manual if you have one.

I needed 3-4 lever clicks for full hold on a steep slope.

limpetminer

posted on 9/12/23 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think I have two seperate cables because there is a t piece on lever which looks specially made & cables have nipples crimped on & then screwed into t piece. Thanks for all the helpful replies .
bi22le

posted on 9/12/23 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Stick a picture up so we can take a look.

As mentioned before the sierra ones were very common. You have to have them really right by hand, lock them off and then use the screw adjusters to get the tension needed. I have only built up rear discs, drums may be even worse with their inefficiency.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.