Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: YouTube fakery
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/24 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
YouTube fakery

It’s interesting, well to me anyway. Looking at how Youtube videos are made and what tools people are using, I’m beginning to understand what I have been seeing for a long time and was puzzled about.

People seemingly making all sorts of random videos about things they clearly know nothing about, often giving really bad advice, repeating the same headline subjects as many others that week with scripts that are almost generic. There’s also the “This new engine will kill Tesla!” type of AI crafted BS production that I usually block without even watching.

I had no idea there were so many AI script generators that not only show you what topics are trending but also write the script for you, pick the video’s and do the voice over. It all seems amazingly fake, which it is and well worthless rubbish, a bit like a trashy newspaper (fill in which one springs to mind).

There are a few science channels I subscribe to and have previously marveled at how they could manage to post a new video literally everyday but now I understand how and why the topics were so random but common. So has it spoiled my viewing? Well yes definitely tbh, it seems they are just chasing views and income over genuine content. I suppose this is what you get when money is involved…

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 12/4/24 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have to agree, it's really difficult to find genuine content nowadays. It's even worse with their 'shorts', I absolutely hate TikTok with a passion but Youtube have obviously caught on with how lucrative it is.

On the other end of the scale are the poor Youtubers who have something genuine to say but just get lost in the mix. There's one I was watching until recently, where he's aiming to build a 200mph DIY car (https://www.youtube.com/@Lost13mm). He was hoping for a bit of funding from ads or Patreon. I found his videos to be very easy to watch, no horrible background music but including really interesting discussions on why he was doing certain things. He's had to abandon the work because it was taking him longer to process the videos than the actual build work, and he wasn't getting anything as a reward.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/4/24 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly, I do have to consider if its even worth while spending hours editing videos only to be totally buried under millions of cretinous mass produced fake AI drivel. Its a shame the platform has been spoilt this way but that seems the way things are going over many platforms.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 12/4/24 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
What worries me, and I cant see a way to change it, is the number of "How To Do" Videos that are down right dangerous. As a furniture maker and wood machinist amongst other things it really scares me that people are posting dangerous videos that the man in the street will think are acceptable and then the comments back up the technique shown. I saw something the other day regarding the use of angle grinders and a comment saying along the lines that he didn't know of anyone who didn't remove the guard. I have seen saw benches being used with no guarding at all and comments along the lines of "I have never used a riving knife or crown guard and have been wood machining for x number of years". Do these idiots not appreciate the danger they could be causing for the amateur? OK, I will get of my soap box now!!!!
David Jenkins

posted on 12/4/24 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
What worries me, and I cant see a way to change it, is the number of "How To Do" Videos that are down right dangerous. As a furniture maker and wood machinist amongst other things it really scares me that people are posting dangerous videos that the man in the street will think are acceptable and then the comments back up the technique shown. I saw something the other day regarding the use of angle grinders and a comment saying along the lines that he didn't know of anyone who didn't remove the guard. I have seen saw benches being used with no guarding at all and comments along the lines of "I have never used a riving knife or crown guard and have been wood machining for x number of years". Do these idiots not appreciate the danger they could be causing for the amateur? OK, I will get of my soap box now!!!!

If I see something blatantly dangerous in a video like that I immediately stop watching it as, if they can't get the basics right, then the rest of their info is totally suspect.

Bluemoon

posted on 16/4/24 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
It’s interesting, well to me anyway. Looking at how Youtube videos are made and what tools people are using, I’m beginning to understand what I have been seeing for a long time and was puzzled about.

People seemingly making all sorts of random videos about things they clearly know nothing about, often giving really bad advice, repeating the same headline subjects as many others that week with scripts that are almost generic. There’s also the “This new engine will kill Tesla!” type of AI crafted BS production that I usually block without even watching.

I had no idea there were so many AI script generators that not only show you what topics are trending but also write the script for you, pick the video’s and do the voice over. It all seems amazingly fake, which it is and well worthless rubbish, a bit like a trashy newspaper (fill in which one springs to mind).

There are a few science channels I subscribe to and have previously marveled at how they could manage to post a new video literally everyday but now I understand how and why the topics were so random but common. So has it spoiled my viewing? Well yes definitely tbh, it seems they are just chasing views and income over genuine content. I suppose this is what you get when money is involved…

have a read of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/11/users-advertisers-we-are-all-trapped-in-the-enshittification-of-the-internet

Should give you an idea of where we are going...

Dan

[Edited on 16/4/24 by Bluemoon]

Rod Ends

posted on 16/4/24 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just ignore videos with clickbait titles:

OMG!!!

YOU WON'T BELIEVE!!!

or shows a picture of someone with their mouth open and boggle-eyes.

I've recently been watching Allen Millyard motorcycle engine videos in which he builds:

a 4 cylinder engine from two 3 cylinder engines,

a 6 cylinder engine from two 4 cylinder engines,

a V8 engine from two 4 cylinder engines,

and a V12 engine from two 6 cylinder engines.

All built in a modest home workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/@AllenMillyard/videos

Slimy38

posted on 16/4/24 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
I saw something the other day regarding the use of angle grinders and a comment saying along the lines that he didn't know of anyone who didn't remove the guard.

Anything that involves an angle grinder being used in a way other than intended, with insufficient PPE, I immediately downvote and turn off. While I can appreciate the ingenuity of using a tool powered lathe or sanding belt, why on earth do they use an angle grinder as a source of power? A drill would do the same job and be much safer.

Oh, and don't even get me started on those 'chainsaw' angle grinder discs. Who thought those instruments of death and injury had any place on this planet?!! Thankfully there is a little bit of sanity left; https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-safety-alert-issued-for-angle-grinder-chainsaw-disc-attachment

craig1410

posted on 16/4/24 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, click-bait videos do indeed exist but I seem to have developed an ability to filter them out in a similar way to how I filter out broadcast TV adverts. I also have an ad blocker which works with YouTube because I don't understand how anyone can use YouTube without either an ad blocker or a Premium subscription.

But, since I have the above sorted, YouTube is my number one source of new knowledge and general entertainment. I subscribe to around 60 channels and never have a shortage of great content to watch.

Here's a random example from earlier this evening where my wife and I watched this video of a plasterer starting a full refurb of his bathroom. The context is that we're about to do the same thing but the wider context is that I found this guy's channel because I was looking for tips on how to skim coat my newly plasterboarded walls in my garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCacZR1PsE

Now, tell me that this guy isn't actually pretty talented, even while outside his field of expertise. And also tell me that he isn't entertaining at the same time. My wife was chuckling along the whole time while appreciating many of the ideas, and complexity at the same time. I think I make things look too easy sometimes!

On more of a car theme, how about this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AndH7Xm3ds0

I think it does take some time to teach YT what you like and dislike but once you do that they I personally find an endless stream of really good content. YMMV I guess.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.