Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aftermarket ecu, for a diesel?
mr henderson

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Aftermarket ecu, for a diesel?

Supposing one wanted to fit a Ford Duratorq engine to a kit car. One problem that would need to be resolved would be the ECU. It might well be possible to cope with the immobiliser (and maybe other issues) and use the Ford ECU, but supposing one wanted to sidestep that and just use the diesel equivalent of a Megasquirt (or whatever). Does anyone know of such a thing?

I've looked into this myself, and the units I have found are units that fit between the engine and the existing ecu, and modify its output, but what I am hoping to find is a stand alone unit.

John

[Edited on 7/5/09 by mr henderson]

nick205

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
There's someon on here who's fitted a diesel motor to a Mev Rocket - can't think of the username, but they might have some pointers.

Found him....

dinosaurjuice

Mev Rocket with a TDCi motor fitted.

[Edited on 7/5/09 by nick205]

dinosaurjuice

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
yep its me.

modern common rail diesel ECUs are a lot more complicated than typical petrol engined ECUs.

when i did a lot of research into alternative ecus this time last year there was nothing available.

what engine were you thinking of using?

mr henderson

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
yep its me.

modern common rail diesel ECUs are a lot more complicated than typical petrol engined ECUs.

when i did a lot of research into alternative ecus this time last year there was nothing available.

what engine were you thinking of using?

The common rain Duratorq. Did you have much trouble using the original ECU?

dinosaurjuice

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
there are loads of duratorqs, which exact model, size and year car will it be from?

in short, i had massive problems. i was very lucky that ive got the engine to run. every auto electrician i could contact told me it was impossible!

mr henderson

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
there are loads of duratorqs, which exact model, size and year car will it be from?

Probably the 2 litre unit from a mk 3 Mondeo, approx 01 or 02. The DCI 96KW version.

quote:

in short, i had massive problems. i was very lucky that ive got the engine to run. every auto electrician i could contact told me it was impossible!

You've managed to put me off the idea. I'll keep an eye open for alternative ECUs, but for the time being I will consider the project shelved.

John

hobbsy

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the last of the non PD VW TDI engines would be the best bet as common, cheap, tough and tuneable and easy to get running as they still use a mechanical pump etc. Like the Westfield Diesel in PPC...
hillbillyracer

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I signed up to the megasquirt forum ages ago & had a look around (not been back much as I need to build something that needs engine managment first!). There was talk on there about how to use it on a diesel, they may have progressed since then, have a look around on there.
I've no doubt it's possible but may need a new design all together, the requirments of a modern common rail diesel are complex & the timing & length of the injector pulses are far more critical than for a petrol & there will be multiple pulses per injector cycle.
I'd really like it to be practical though, not so much for a locost but so you could use a modern diesel in many other things.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Surely the last of the non PD VW TDI engines would be the best bet as common, cheap, tough and tuneable and easy to get running as they still use a mechanical pump etc. Like the Westfield Diesel in PPC...

a mechanical pump diesel engine would be really easy to install. but i would never think about putting one in a kit car. for a lgihtweight car the refinement of common rail is a must.

britishtrident

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it another ECU could be used the Duratorq depends heavily on CAN Bus even the individual fuel injectors are bar-coded into the system.

As for using the original ECU it needs CAN-Bus inputs from the chassis & body systems so again that avenue looks like a non-starter.

tegwin

posted on 7/5/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
There are people using the latest TFSI engines in mk2 golfs....I am sure they use the OEM loom etc... so they MUST be able to get around the CAN-BUS authorisation issues....

One of the VAG electronics companies should be able to unlock a CANBUS ECU to do pretty much whatever you want I would have thought?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

dinosaurjuice

posted on 7/5/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
it varies depending on car model, but its surprising what can be removed from the electrical system yet still allow the engine to work fine.

same goes for CAN. theres a lot of rumours about how untouchable it is. in reality its a very clever system which will work with only the critical components connected.

Danozeman

posted on 8/5/09 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Id run the standard ecu. Must be easy enough. Then you have the option of chipping etc. And you can plug the ford diagnostic into it etc.

Cant be that hard. CAN networks can be played with. You just need to turn of that pulse on the ecu.

That said id run a VW AFN or AAZ engine. Pre PD. You can tubne an afn to over 200 with didfferent injector nozzles etc forn ot alot of money. Much easier if you can get a gear box adaptor.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.