Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best way to lighten my fury
FuryRebuild

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to lighten my fury

Hi All

My fury is undergoing some major winter overhauling and changes (including a strip down and re-powder coat of the chassis). As such I have a lot of opportunities for mods and lightening.

So far, my obvious candidates for lightening things are:

• Flywheel (4 kg)
  • Bonnet (already done) 4KG
  • padded seats to fibreglass seats (10kg)
  • Fabricating my own fuel tank to move the majority of the mass down into the transmission tunnel, reducing polar moment of inertia but not necessarily saving weight

What clever and or obvious things have you done to reduce weight? It doesn't have to be on a fury because I'm sure your ideas were great as well.

I'm not intending to change the engine though (screaming mad pinto).

Thanks
Mark

steve m

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cuting the excess off every bolt, saved me quite a bit and losing the spare wheel etc, and just carry a tube in a can

steve

UncleFista

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

scootz

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lithium battery. Costs a couple of hundred more than the likes of an Odyssey, but will save you 4 or 5 kg! Worth it when you consider that plenty spend a couple of hundred quid on CF parts that might save 0.5 kg here and there!

It's Evolution Baby!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Lithium battery. Costs a couple of hundred more than the likes of an Odyssey, but will save you 4 or 5 kg! Worth it when you consider that plenty spend a couple of hundred quid on CF parts that might save 0.5 kg here and there!

5 kg fire extinguisher has to be carried in this case .....weight saving nil

Give up the macs and takeaways drinking ect .....loose weight on yer gut and butt ...

FuryRebuild

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - personal dieting also factors, and am doing that Let's see if Sparco make a racing banana-hammock.

I'd not thought of lithium, and the car does have a plumbed in fire extinguisher anyway. It's on a red-top battery mounted on the floor in the engine bay, but that's moving now for two reasons:
1) i need the space back to put in some much needed triangulation missing there
2) I trashed it, so it needs to be replaced.

My cunning plan is to put a pair of red-tops (smaller ones) in the transmission tunnel, or somewhere else low down.

So far, great ideas though. Chopping bolts down is a good idea - i have a friend who races TR7s and he drills his bolts through - makes sense if they're correctly loaded in tension and not shear.

FuryRebuild

posted on 31/1/12 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
when lithium batteries explode

bang
loggyboy

posted on 31/1/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Alloy maincase for the gearbox?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know you're stuck on the pinto but there is excess weight there obviously.

What are you running in the way of wheels/brakes. Big performance benefits can come from lightrening rotating and unsprung mass.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

FuryRebuild

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm on a non-magnesium set of alloys, and hi-spec 4 pot calipers and cross drilled vented disks - not that much heavier than the solid ones i swapped them for.

Alloy bellhousing is a good point - I have found a company that makes an alloy cast that is the same shape as the original iron one and is as strong - the ford alloy bellhousing is quite a bit wider. that's a few kg saved.

scudderfish

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Change to an aeroscreen? Lose a big chunk of glass, wipers, demist....
bi22le

posted on 31/1/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing was asked to PPC last month.

THey said excess loom chopping and lighter more expensive metals for full roll cages and structural parts.

Keeping water and oil pipes to a minimum to keep capacity down may help.

Ali Rad?
Light wheels?
Full geometry set up so it handles the best it can.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

deltron63

posted on 31/1/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
bang

I had one do that in a r/c car

iank

posted on 31/1/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Use foam and bin bag racing seats will save another 4kg over the fibreglass ones and be cheaper.
See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152517

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Rosco

posted on 31/1/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If Liam's right and you're running a Pinto I'd focus my attention and £££ to sorting that out. From memory a Pinto weighs about 120kg, a 4AGE or K-series weighs 80kg-90kg, a BEC much less, Duratec ???. So there's an easy 30Kg there that would not only reduce overall weight but give you a big improvement in the balance of the car. Sorting out the bell housing and plumbing could be part of the upgrade.
Neville Jones

posted on 1/2/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at losing 30kg's off my upcoming little bec build. The car itself will be very difficult to lighten any more than designed. But me, I'm a little above ideal design mass.

Started the diet already.

Bonus will be smaller clothes, so lighter race suit!

Cheers,
Nev.

[Edited on 1/2/12 by Neville Jones]

FuryRebuild

posted on 1/2/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rosco - my head's really churning now...

Someone has a complete 2.5 200bhp unit on ebay, all ancilliaries I would need including turbo for £1500, or bearing in mind I was going to fabricate exhausts and inlet manifolds for my pinto, the amount of work to do similar for the duratec won't be any more - the pinto was also going to get a megajolt ignition to manage it.

So, keep my pair of twin45 dellortos, new manifold, new exhaust, megajolt. I'd expect to see similar power to that I get now, but with a pleasantly revvy engine that weighs the same as a spec of dust. power to weight ratio counts for all.

I'm also respeccing springs and dampers after cornering force create me anti-roll bars, so hopefully the change in weight won't affect the ARB too much.

Any thoughts on my duratec configuration?

scootz

posted on 1/2/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Exploding batteries??? Meh! In today's namby-pamby world they would be cased in 6"s of lead if they were really so dangerous!

Things sometimes go wrong... that's life! The power of the Internet means that we all get to hear about those few-and-far-between incidents and it results in hysteria!

Pull yourselves together you big girls blouses!

It's Evolution Baby!

FuryRebuild

posted on 1/2/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Scootz - do you know of a retailer?
scootz

posted on 1/2/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up a couple of cards when I was at the Autosport show. I'll look them out for you when I'm back from hols next week.

Tellingly, the Odyssey or was it Powervamp or was it Enersis (I cant keep up ) chap at the show said they were watching the lithium 'scene' very closely and anticipated moving over when the tech-costs came do a bit.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.