Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento windscreen
ben lord

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Viento windscreen

I have had a few emails regarding windscreens for Vientos. Generally the cost has been to high, but if I can get a few made at once I should be able to get a better price.
What I need to know is how many are still looking for a screen for their Viento.

Please can you email me at info@luegosportscars.com

Thanks

Ben

DanP

posted on 15/4/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben,

Did you get much interest in these?

Thanks,
Dan

ben lord

posted on 15/4/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
2 so far!!

Ben

NeilP

posted on 4/5/12 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ben, missed the post - me too. Cheers, Neil.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

DanP

posted on 28/1/17 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is this something that is still available?

Or even some pictures or diagrams if not

Thanks,
Dan

Andybarbet

posted on 28/1/17 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are more likely to get info from one of the guys that have built a Viento.

Unfortunately I didn't find the new Luego sports cars owners very helpful at all.

A real shame as there are quite a few Luego's built & also being built still.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Sterillium

posted on 29/1/17 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking for a Viento for my windscreen... does that count?
Irony

posted on 29/1/17 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think that luego's current owners are just systematically killing the brand and are not interested. They will help you over the phone and make parts but they will charge you. I had a quote from them for a rear suspension arm and a quote from another company to match an existing arm. Luego were 30% more.

The best way to get a windscreen made is to go to gbs and they will make the parts. I am going to be making a aeroscreen soon so I can do a write up if it goes well.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/1/17 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone got a screen to make a template of the three bits u2u me
DanP

posted on 29/1/17 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I have emailed Luego on the off chance they can help.

I can see that if I could get the raw parts from GBS I could make one up, I did try to make one a while back but with a welded frame made of cut, welded and slit tube and got as far as final assembly but I managed to crack the glass and wasn't very happy with the look and so gave up.

I've been tossing up between a full screen or an aero screen and I think as long as I can get the shape and rake right then I think a full screen would look good, hector and kenton's screens look great.

If someone has a template or some dimensions I'd really appreciate it.

I must admit I was never very sure of the screw method of construction as it worried me as to whether it could hold the forces generated on a motorway (one reason I tried my own welded design) but I'm sure the aluminium channel method can be made strong enough as it's what most people use.

Thanks,
Dan

rusty nuts

posted on 30/1/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
If it's any help Snuggs has a nice screen on his Viento if he hasn't sold the car , Don't know when he last logged onto the forum . He may be able to help? Think his screen was made by Brasscraft?
DanP

posted on 1/2/17 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ben has got back to me and is able to sell the frame, supports and rubbers so that is great, I'm just waiting on a price back from GBS for the frame channel as I have access to CNC gear to make the supports and the bit i really need is the frame.

Will let people know.

[Edited on 1/2/17 by DanP]

Irony

posted on 2/2/17 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP
Ben has got back to me and is able to sell the frame, supports and rubbers so that is great, I'm just waiting on a price back from GBS for the frame channel as I have access to CNC gear to make the supports and the bit i really need is the frame.

Will let people know.

[Edited on 1/2/17 by DanP]

Can you let me know a cost from Ben please?

DanP

posted on 7/6/17 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
So after some backwards and forwards with Ben, he told me that he has outsourced the fabrication of the screens to Permier Wiring, they got in touch with me yesterday and offered me the full set of parts and hardware for £380 plus £20 quid postage.

I'm pretty tempted as i've been umming and ahhing for ages and if someone does a straight fit kit then that would suit me nicely.

Anyone have any experience of premier wiring windscreens?

SteveWallace

posted on 8/6/17 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Someone on here can make Viento windscreens to order. I was in discussion with him about buying one but he's currently having some computer problems that have delayed his response. I didn't want to post his details without permission, but perhaps he'll spot this thread and reply himself.

My concern with a full windscreen is that I'm quite tall and also have reasonably padded seats in my car. I want to make sure that the top of the screen is not in my eye line before I buy. I also want to have a look at the fixing method - as someone else on here has mentioned, there is a lot of force on the screen at high speed and I need to trust a screen enough (from whoever supplies it) to not be worried about it ending up in my teeth.

Final point - if I do fit a screen, will I need to also fit windscreen wipers to get through MOT? If so, I suppose an alternative option is to take it off before each test.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

DanP

posted on 9/6/17 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
The strength of the scuttle and supports had always been one of my concerns - another reason to buy a screen from a company that makes lots of them.

I would imagine that some plates inside the scuttle and running down to the chassis rails could be used to strengthen the screen - but this might be overkill.

Irony

posted on 10/6/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
If you are worried about strength maybe a bar going back to the half cage might help.

I think I am going to try a flyscreen before I go to the full windscreen

[Edited on 10/6/17 by Irony]

DanP

posted on 18/9/17 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
So I took the plunge and Premier wiring made me a screen, pretty pleased with the quality, i started fitting it today but i need to get another pair of (willing) hands to finish the job.

I'll post some pics when it is done, hopefully next weekend.

SCAR

posted on 18/9/17 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
You will certainly need to fit wipers and possibly washers and even a demister if fitting a full screen.
SJ

posted on 18/9/17 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
A full screen is great but you will need wipers as a minimum. Also, to get the full benefit of the screen you really need some decent side screens. The combination of the two make a massive difference to driving comfort at speed.

Stu

DanP

posted on 19/9/17 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, my plan was to fit a heater and de-misters anyway to make it a little warmer in winter, with a half hood at some point, i'll factor in the wipers too.

Thanks,
Dan

DanP

posted on 2/11/17 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so much later than planned, an update:

I've purchased wiper and heater gear, I've done all of the electrics for the washer, wiper and heater and they all work but are not bolted into place yet as I want to fit the screen before I fix anything else.

I've mocked up where all the hardware will sit in the scuttle and I'm now ready to bend the side supports to shape. The slight challenge I've got is that the luego build manual has fitting information and dimensions but it assumes you are drilling the screen yourself whereas the screen I have has studs already fitted which means I need to be very careful with the alignment I think.

I'm sure its solvable but would welcome any advice from anyone that has already done this?

Thanks,
Dan

Gersen

posted on 5/11/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it's any use but if you want to have a look at my Velocity to see how it fits you're welcome.
DanP

posted on 5/11/17 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gersen,

Thanks I might take you up on that if you are close, where are you based?

Premier wiring have been helping me with tips too.

Thanks,
Dan

Gersen

posted on 6/11/17 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
PM'ed
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.