Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side screens
40inches

posted on 11/5/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Side screens

An interesting article on making side screens, this is on a DAX Rush, but applies to any 7.
http://www.hoverd.org/Tim/Dax/driving-body-0206a.html

Bluemoon

posted on 11/5/16 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Very bad photo:

Description
Description

But did something similar..

Dan

chris

posted on 11/5/16 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
mine look very similar to the last photo but mine are made from a single piece of polycarb and then I just covered the bottom half with leatherette and made two latches on each door that hook on the side bodywork 11/5/16 by chris]

[Edited on 11/5/16 by chris]

Bluemoon

posted on 12/5/16 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
mine look very similar to the last photo but mine are made from a single piece of polycarb and then I just covered the bottom half with leatherette and made two latches on each door that hook on the side bodywork 11/5/16 by chris]

[Edited on 11/5/16 by chris]

Nice idea, considered it for mine but needed a lot of curves to get elbow hole and the polycarbonate also needed to be held curved slightly to make room (not clear on the photo), the central aluminium strip provides the rigidity needed to do this...

It was to large to form in the domestic oven

Dan

chris

posted on 12/5/16 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
yes had to form them a bit to curve into the corner of the scuttle on my first drive with the doors on got to thirty miles an hour and both doors flopped inwards so a quick rethink and i added some steel strengthening one strip across the middle and folded it into the leatherette and now can go flat out
just used a hot air gun to form it

[Edited on 12/5/16 by chris]

Bluemoon

posted on 12/5/16 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
yes had to form them a bit to curve into the corner of the scuttle on my first drive with the doors on got to thirty miles an hour and both doors flopped inwards so a quick rethink and i added some steel strengthening one strip across the middle and folded it into the leatherette and now can go flat out

Yep, had that issue as well there appears to be quite a high pressure zone just behind the screen.. Limited speed to 50mph ;( They would "Pop" inside out above this speed ... Aluminum strip fixed this, still flap a bit at the back but o.k.

Dan

chris

posted on 12/5/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
mine are ok at the back because they go right back to the roll bar so dont flop in and because they go that far back reduces the buffeting to almost nothing

[Edited on 12/5/16 by chris]

mk1storm

posted on 12/5/16 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
An interesting article on making side screens, this is on a DAX Rush, but applies to any 7.

Yeah I took some of the advice from that and used it to make mine, which I documented here if you're interested:
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5478&hilit=doors

Bluemoon

posted on 12/5/16 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mk1storm
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

Yeah I took some of the advice from that and used it to make mine, which I documented here if you're interested:
http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5478&hilit=doors

How good are the helicopter vents, do you get some ventilation?

I find even the surrey top (half hood) get's a bit warm on a long run may be worth fitting...

Dan

mk1storm

posted on 12/5/16 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon

How good are the helicopter vents, do you get some ventilation?

Dan

I added them as the old 2nd hand doors I got had them and thought I'd better put some sort of vent in, but I try to leave the hood down as much as I can, so honestly speaking I've never used them in anger so difficult to tell!
They do let some air in for sure...

The only times the hood's been up have been:
1) If I've parked it somewhere - ie not driving it
2) When getting caught out in a shower on the way to/from somewhere but so far I've been lucky enough not to have needed to put it up long enough to really test it out.
3) When it's really cold and the missus starts complaining on a long drive! and then as it's not warm the vents aren't needed anyway...

Sorry, not very useful but I might try them out properly next time I'm out in the car... just to satisfy my own curiosity now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.