Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness eye bolts position
craigdiver

posted on 28/8/17 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Harness eye bolts position

When I tighten up my eye bolts they are not in the best position to clip the harness on, am I best to shim them so they tighten in the correct position or is there a tried, tested and accepted method of fitting eye bolts? (I will be putting them in with blue loctite threadlock)?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

adithorp

posted on 28/8/17 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Try swapping them around as the treads will all be slightly different so you might find a combo' that does line up. After that you'll have to shim them with washers.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

craigdiver

posted on 28/8/17 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Try swapping them around as the treads will all be slightly different so you might find a combo' that does line up. After that you'll have to shim them with washers.

Never thought of that, cheers

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

peter030371

posted on 29/8/17 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Why do you need threadlock? with a harness attached they will never be able to rotate and come undone
craigdiver

posted on 29/8/17 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Why do you need threadlock? with a harness attached they will never be able to rotate and come undone

Very good point!, being a member of the IET, should have really realised that sooner myself :-)

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

craigdiver

posted on 30/8/17 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have, after trying various eyebolts, managed to get the drivers lower mounts fitted. These are as per book fully welded 7/16 UNF nut on 5mm plate, also fully welded. I note that on some SVAs it is commented that would be better with fillets to support the brackets, any body know of any SVA failures with just fully welded 5mm plate?

Also, the mounting clips on the Securon 655 harnesses have a small hole that something like a split pin could be inserted preventing the clip from being removed. I think that this may be a good idea on my car as accessing the lower seatbelt mounts involve a pain in the backside job of removing the front seats.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/9/17 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
I have, after trying various eyebolts, managed to get the drivers lower mounts fitted. These are as per book fully welded 7/16 UNF nut on 5mm plate, also fully welded. I note that on some SVAs it is commented that would be better with fillets to support the brackets, any body know of any SVA failures with just fully welded 5mm plate?

Also, the mounting clips on the Securon 655 harnesses have a small hole that something like a split pin could be inserted preventing the clip from being removed. I think that this may be a good idea on my car as accessing the lower seatbelt mounts involve a pain in the backside job of removing the front seats.

I see you mounted your eyebolts in Single Shear, I am very anal and have been postergating painting and attaching body panels because I have not had the chance to weld a second gusset on a chasis corner to attach the but and have them on double.
What is the thickness of the bracket you used?

Now that I think, if the single shear mounting point fails, I thing I would have bigger problems and not worth losing sleep about it.
In y car the gusset has about 2" of weld in tension and the other two is welded to a vertical member on "Compression" if that makes sense...

x
/ x
/ /x
/ o /
/ /
/ /
/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Front of the car.----->

X´s are weld lines...

"Drawing" is messed up in post.. sorry...

[Edited on 9/9/2017 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craigdiver

posted on 9/9/17 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Seatbelt mounting plates are 3mm thick and 100mm long (as per Haynes roadster manual), I don't have any gussets welded in.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.