Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch Problem
cfc999

posted on 16/9/17 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch Problem

In the process of fitting a zx9r into a striker. Fitted a modified clutch cable to the clutch arm via a fabricated bracket. When depressing the clutch pedal I'm getting good clutch arm movement but if I put the engine in gear and try and push the car forward depressing the clutch fully the car won't roll forward and the clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging. If I open the oil fitter cap I can see the clutch moving as it should. The engine has be sat around for a couple of years so could the clutch plates be stuck together. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

[Edited on 16/9/17 by cfc999]

Bigboystoys

posted on 17/9/17 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Does sound like clutch plates are stuck, its quite common for bikes to do this if left standing for a while, normally leaving the bike in gear and pulling the clutch lever in while moving/rocking the bike back and forth frees them off

Thanks Sam

Sam_68

posted on 17/9/17 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboystoys
...normally leaving the bike in gear and pulling the clutch lever in while moving/rocking the bike back and forth frees them off

You sometimes get the same problem with cars.

Since it's a pain to depress the clutch pedal whilst rocking the car back and forth, the equivalent solutions are either:
1) Put the car up on axle stands, start the engine and alternately rev/brake the engine, in gear, while holding the clutch depressed, or;
2) Actually drive the car, alternately accelerating and braking whilst the clutch pedal is depressed.

With a car (dry clutch), just a few cycles of running the engine up to temperature and allowing it to cool off is sometimes enough in mild cases: the differential expansion as things warm up and cool off is enough to free the clutch plate from the flywheel. Might not be so effective on a multi-plate wet clutch on a bike, though.

cfc999

posted on 17/9/17 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice.
The engine isn't running as yet and needs the wiring sorting so starting it isnt a option. I've tried puting it in 1st and depressed the clutch whilst my mate rocked the car backwards and forwards without any success. Will see what my local bike engine guru suggest but any other idea's please let me know.
Thanks

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/9/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Really need to put oil in the engine and run it I'm sure it will free off.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.