Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rod ends
Daf

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Rod ends

Morning people,

I want to modify a couple of my wishbones to take rod ends so that I can get some improved adjustment to the suspension. I’ve had a look on the McGill website and they have a number of different types of rod ends, cheap to expensive.

Question is which ones should I go for – the car does doing mainly road miles and perhaps 2 or 3 track days a year. My primary concern is how long they will last, from experience with other stuff I’ve discovered that buying the most expensive might offer the best performance but may not last the longest!

Any thoughts? I’m not trying to scrimp – I really don’t mind paying for expensive ones but not if they’re going to last 5 minutes on the road.

Daf

nick205

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Not used them myself, but looking before I've seen you can get little rubber boot things to keep crud out of the joint - presumably to prolong the life of the joint.
WallerZero

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a set from McGill on my Zero. 4 years, over 10k miles, still going strong! No rubber boots either.

Unfortunately I have changed email since buying them so can't tell you if they were expensive or cheap....knowing me and my budget building...they were at the cheaper end!

[Edited on 15/12/17 by WallerZero]

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

Daf

posted on 15/12/17 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WallerZero
I've got a set from McGill on my Zero. 4 years, over 10k miles, still going strong! No rubber boots either.

Unfortunately I have changed email since buying them so can't tell you if they were expensive or cheap....knowing me and my budget building...they were at the cheaper end!

[Edited on 15/12/17 by WallerZero]

That made me laugh, if i could get 10k out of a set that would be more than adequate... just need to find out which ones now! I'll probably fit the rubber boots, they're only a few quid and they can only help extend the life.

peter030371

posted on 15/12/17 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've fitted rubber boots on mine but only done 300 miles so far so a little early to say if they help or not. The boots are a pig to fit, my wife was better at it than me so she ended up with that job
SJ

posted on 15/12/17 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've fitted rubber boots on mine but only done 300 miles so far so a little early to say if they help or not. The boots are a pig to fit, my wife was better at it than me so she ended up with that job

Mine rubber boots are still in the bag. Easier to replace the rod ends than fit the rubber boots! After finding I couldn't fit them I reasoned that they might hold moisture so decided I was better off without them

Stu

Oddified

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have some with rubber boots fitted and some without on my car. I can't say there's any real difference in life span (and some have been on for many years), using good quality rods ends seems to be a bigger factor.

Ian

Daf

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice - I've ordered the most expensive ones they do. It does say in the description that life should be good - I'll report back, hopefully in 4+ years and >10k miles!!
Mike Wood

posted on 16/12/17 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
You can check our different manufacturers of rod ends, eg. Aurora and NMB at: http://www.rodends.co.uk/categories/Motorsport/

Also check other Motorsport suppliers e.g. Raceparts http://race.parts/Catalogue/Bearings-Rod-Ends
Merlin Motorsport https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/suspension-steering/rod-ends and Trident Racing Supplies, pages 34-40: http://www.tridentracing.co.uk/trident-racing-catalogue-2017-v1.pdf

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 16/12/17 by Mike Wood]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 19/12/17 at 03:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Morning people,

I want to modify a couple of my wishbones to take rod ends so that I can get some improved adjustment to the suspension. I’ve had a look on the McGill website and they have a number of different types of rod ends, cheap to expensive.

Question is which ones should I go for – the car does doing mainly road miles and perhaps 2 or 3 track days a year. My primary concern is how long they will last, from experience with other stuff I’ve discovered that buying the most expensive might offer the best performance but may not last the longest!

Any thoughts? I’m not trying to scrimp – I really don’t mind paying for expensive ones but not if they’re going to last 5 minutes on the road.

Daf

I don´t know where did I read that going High Strength on a smaller size decreases weight with not too much of an increase in cost.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.