Author: Subject: Gatso 2 is on its way
macspeedy

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Gatso 2 is on its way

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=12432

what??

G.Man

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ah Cyprus, 2 weeks, no more speed cameras...

UK is screwed...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

DarrenW

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I think that is a terrible report.
Surely they must be fitted every 400m and not 400yds - we must have grounds for taking them to the European courts for not using metric intervals????

I must say the whole subject of roads and speeds infuriates me. Ive tried driving at 70 on the motorway. Need to use middle lane most of the time to prevent fast lane jockies from slamming into you / blinding you with full beam / undertaking and squeezing into the regulation 3 sec gap in front. Middle lanes are more nasty cos you have 56mph wagons pulling out on you and then the fast lane jockies doing a swift one around Mr70MPH in the fast lane. And to top it all we have speed cameras to worry about. Flipping nightmare.

daz

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
well if theres anymore suicide bombers hopefully they will visit this control centre
BKLOCO

posted on 17/11/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Bit extreme Daz but I know what you mean.

I agree

UK is totally FUCKT.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

dnmalc

posted on 17/11/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
For road signs and distances the law demands the use of Christian units
Hammerhead

posted on 17/11/05 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I drove through the set of cameras on the M42 last weekend at 99.9 mph (dont want an instant ban) and a huge sign at the side of the road said 'Time trial ahead' well I thought a time trial was always something one should do quickly. So if I get caught for speeding that will be my excuse - the signs told me to do it! its all down to interpretation i reckon.
DorsetStrider

posted on 17/11/05 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
One (that's the royal one, not the number) has to wonder exactly why so many troops died in the second world war... Wouldn't it have just been easier to give in to a police state then instead of building one from scratch?

Canada here I come...do they have SVA in canada?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Guinness

posted on 17/11/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
You've got to hand it to the idiots that think these schemes up. I mean it must take between 6 and 7 seconds to come up with such utter crap. They can't have put any real thought into it, cost benefit analysis etc etc.

So they spend 6 or 7 seconds actually working and spend the other 37.5 hrs a week in meetings or sitting around doing nowt and they get to keep their jobs.

Can you imagine every 400 yards along every country lane a massive big post with a camera on the top. Nope, neither can I. Simply put, don't speed on the really wide straight roads, speed on the really narrow twisty ones, it's loads more fun!!

Mike

JamieG

posted on 17/11/05 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
So if these cameras are to be put up every 400meters then , traveling at 70mph you would pass 4.69 of them every minute!!!! Or one every 12.7 seconds!

Its getting out of hand!!

Strolls

posted on 17/11/05 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I think that is a terrible report.
Surely they must be fitted every 400m and not 400yds - we must have grounds for taking them to the European courts for not using metric intervals????

On an only slightly related note the British Weights and Measures Association reckon they have a dodge to get you off a parking ticket. Commentary also in the Independant.

Stroller.

clbarclay

posted on 17/11/05 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
'Sorry I ran over that OAP officer, but I was too busy looking at my speedo and checking that I wasn't driving faster than the speed limit'

They say theres a lot of people get run over on the roads every day, but unfortunatly it seems the ones that think its better to look at your speedo, not the road survive.

colibriman

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
FFS not more sh*t..... this country is getting worse to live in...making it more and more like total sense to leg it out.

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc

Cubits, bushels, groats and flaggons? I don't beleive that the Bible contains yards or metres.

drmike54

posted on 17/11/05 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
GATSO

I was watching the local news last night, Cleveland, Ohio and they were telling how the installation of the new Gatso redlight cameras were going to save us all. There was something sinister about how the cameras would PREDICT if you were going to run the light. Not actually wait until the light turned RED before taking the picture.

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gav

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
what utter utter bullsh!t imaginge the cost of a camera (at least several thousand each + optical fibre infrastructure) every 400yards along every motorway, they would have to up our income tax by 5000% atleast.
I have been working on a contract for the M27 for the software to control 29 second generation CCTV cameras and this cost alot!, this was just the pilot scheme and we are currently building the software/hardware for around birmingham and i can tell you the exact lat/long of every camera that will be in that area, and it is no where near 400 yards, and their is no ANPR software either, its purley for traffic observation not prosecution.

[Edited on 17/11/05 by Gav]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I know what our fibre hybrid cost to build and we have not even touched a large chunk of the country. Its enough to bankrupt a small country.......unless the would use ntl/telewest and bt to carry the data......

[Edited on 17-11-05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Rob Lane

posted on 17/11/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was at a traffic exhibition 2 years ago and speaking to Siemens director.
He said the police were trying desperately hard to get their hands on the trafficmaster camera system.

You've seen them, the small blue camera boxes on poles at side of road and on motorway bridges. They have ANPR and are linked to a central control. They take a numberplate and then monitor it for it's next passage through the system, doing this multiple times to get an overall picture. It then determines whether there is a holdup on that route.
It does not use this for speed trapping BUT the police know it can!

It has been pushed at top level by ACPO to get this private system under government control. It is ready made and works right now.

Gav

posted on 17/11/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop.unless the would use ntl/telewest and bt to carry the data......

No that wouldnt be an option as the fibre runs down the actual side of the motorway, its the lines inside the purple plastic pipes you might see if you were travling down the M27 or around M42/M6. these then go back to the transmission stations (the little huts) by the side of the motorway which then get microwaved to the local control station

Gav

posted on 17/11/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
It has been pushed at top level by ACPO to get this private system under government control. It is ready made and works right now.

Their is also a large change in the pipeworks as to how the motorways are policed. Currently it is the police however their are plans (and new laws to be passed) to allow the Highways Agency to police the roads, you may have seen police looking vehicles which are actually marked as HA Patrolmen.
So im very scepticle about this whole ACPO statment, yes im sure they would love to get their grubby little hands on it, but im unsure how this would affect the future as far as the HA running the show.

steve_gus

posted on 17/11/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was very nearly speed gunned in cyprus a couple years back.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Ah Cyprus, 2 weeks, no more speed cameras...

UK is screwed...

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

steve_gus

posted on 17/11/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dnmalc

The rest of Europe isnt christian then?

If car number plates are fitted with RFID tags (like the things that know you are taking something out of a shop without paying) as is proposed, they will have the same effect as cameras. Likely a whole lot easier to do too. Just a loop in the road, and not cameras on poles.

atb

steve

[Edited on 17/11/05 by steve_gus]

Just knock off the 's'!

Messenjah

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
it just means we will have to drivre absolutely everywhere at 186mph

unless theyre cleverer then the current cameras

cymtriks

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I hate em too

And here's why. They are, in my opinion, symbolic of a government hopelessly out of touch. That on its own wouldn't be so bad but they also represent a huge waste of money, our money, which is always justified on the false premise of road safety which statistics prove to be false.

What's happening down my street while this is going on? Let's see...

My neighbour has had a breeze block chucked through his car window.
My other neighbour has had his shed burgled.
Across the road has had his car torched.
A man chased a six year old girl home from school with his thingy hanging out of his trousers. He's flashed at women before, now he's chasing school girls.

Does anything get done about this? No.

Oh and I forgot to mention MrsC and the new baby getting used for darts practice by druggies throwing needles at them.

Of course that's just crime. There's also pensions gone to pot, lousy equipment for the forces, the NHS in crisis, schools churning out illiterate morons that mysteriously seem to have more paper qualifications than ever (don't get me started on A levels, a complete national disgrace!). The list just goes on and on.

So there are lots of serious problems to sort out. No shortage at all in fact.

Now does anyone down our road worry about speed crazed motorists? No.

Anyone at work? No.

Have accident figure been driven down by Gatsos? No.

So there's a big case to spend money on lots of real problems and not much of a case for scameras? Yes.

So what do we get?

Scameras. That's what we get. Everywhere.

And we get them while everything that we actually pay the government and the police and the courts to do doesn't seem to get done as well as it used to be when we were actually taxed less.

steve_gus

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh, but according to the met cheif yesterday, we need to decide the kinda police we want. Seems like the choice was catching terrorists or burglars.

We dont have a problem with terrorists in rural northants.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.