Board logo

helmet choice
eccsmk - 10/5/09 at 10:17 AM

driving the indy is brilliant .. until..
you reach the higher speeds (90+) as the wind
or poor helmet design creates such a vibration
that everything goes bluury.
now i tried firstly with no helmet just ski goggles.
it wasnt too bad.(until a fly hit me in the forehead)
then wearing an AGV stealth.. it was the awful made you feel ill.
so onto a nitro n500v it was ok better than my first 2 attempts.
im going to try a helmet with i chin spoiler today. ill report back

MakeEverything - 10/5/09 at 11:27 AM

Just spend money on good quality.
AGV etc ive found are ok for low speeds, but i found that when you hit 90+ (163) mph (on a track of course!! ) the vibration makes riding more dangerous.

The only lid ive ever had that avoids this, is an Arai Condor. It cost me £400 when i first bought it, but well worth the money. Comfortable, light, small and doesnt vibrate.

hobzy - 10/5/09 at 01:16 PM

If you are using the standard MK flat short screen I found the buffeting by the vortices around the side edge at those speeds to be a nightmare in a lid. A change to an aeroscreen made a massive difference for me (Arai Corsair lid). No lifting and very even wind.

eccsmk - 10/5/09 at 03:17 PM

ive got an aeroscreen from the chap on ebay.
without a helmet the wind hits me in the forehead but i cant set the screen any higher.
just been to hein-gericke and bought a HJC IS-16 its pretty cool looking thing has built in shades
it only starts to vibrate and wobble about when you get +100 (or so ive ben told )
i may well buy something better but after my recent problems funds are a little low.
thank you for all your input i will refer back to this when i next buy a new helmet

beaver34 - 10/5/09 at 03:23 PM

if you were short and had an aero screen is driving with no lid going to be o.k? or would you just get hammerd by the wind?

eccsmk - 10/5/09 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
if you were short and had an aero screen is driving with no lid going to be o.k? or would you just get hammerd by the wind?

to be honest and after being hit in the face by a stone yesterday i wouldnt recomment not having either.
many people on here drive wearing safety glasses and they seem to be ok
i guess it your own choice at the end of the day.
HTH

iank - 10/5/09 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Just spend money on good quality.
AGV etc ive found are ok for low speeds, but i found that when you hit 90+ (163) mph (on a track of course!! ) the vibration makes riding more dangerous.

The only lid ive ever had that avoids this, is an Arai Condor. It cost me £400 when i first bought it, but well worth the money. Comfortable, light, small and doesnt vibrate.

A helmet that works well aerodynamically on a bike won't necessarily work well in a car and vice versa, head angle is completely different.

Might be time to bite the bullet and go to a racing car helmet if you spend a lot of time >90mph (track only, obviously )

[Edited on 10/5/09 by iank]

eccsmk - 10/5/09 at 10:07 PM

ive done 100 or so miles in the indy this afternoon
this new helmet is alot better than the AGV i was using before
altho its not helped my driving ability

tendoshingan - 11/5/09 at 09:10 AM

I don't use a helmet for safety but to avoid the wind and bits hitting my face.
For that reason I use my skydiving full face helmet.
They are expensive but they have excellent vision and designed for going faster than 120mph.