Board logo

[Project] Volvo powered MK
Benzine - 24/4/08 at 09:05 PM

Thought I'd finally get round to writing a little bit about my project.

So here's how it started.

Dear pinto, we had some great times together but you just can't give me what I'm looking for in a relationship anymore. I'll always have a special place in my heart for you! probably.

Stripping

Chassis mods: Now have carpet in the garage which is awesome.

Teh beast

With the gearbox:

Elbow grease

I've lost some footwell in both sides of the car but not very much in the drivers side.

Das gearbox

Pics from today (engine and gearbox in)

Now to crack on with gearstick positioning/mounting & a thousand other jobs

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Benzine]

coozer - 24/4/08 at 09:13 PM

Nice was thinking about putting one of them 6 pot engines in mine as well!

Volvorsport - 24/4/08 at 09:15 PM

glad to see it coming along , what you doing for inlet penum ?

ive got some good NA mods coming along nicely , but youre now going turbo ! that is going to be insane .

you do realise poor little sierra diff might not handle the torque thatll be putting out !

madteg - 24/4/08 at 09:16 PM

Bet you are looking forward to making exhaust manifold, will be one hell of a car when done ( good luck)

DarrenW - 24/4/08 at 09:20 PM

That is real nice.

What sort of performance are you hoping for?

Ive seen engine swaps before but dont think one that has involved such a drastic stripdown. Yiu are doing a real nice job of it. Its really time consuming making all of the bits look so good so its a real credit to you.

worX - 24/4/08 at 09:23 PM

Thats quality mate!

Congratulations on getting this far and it looking so well!!!

Steve

Benzine - 24/4/08 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
glad to see it coming along , what you doing for inlet penum ?

you do realise poor little sierra diff might not handle the torque thatll be putting out !

What are my options with the diff? Quaife LSD? I have the standard inlet plenum, how much is there to making your own plenum? I'd like to have a go but I don't know much about it with regards to shape/airflow etc

Volvorsport - 24/4/08 at 09:29 PM

well if you use the original stubby ,and the silicon adapters , some flared 50mm tube welded into a 5 inch tube would make a pretty good plenum .

if you can get me some dimensions , room that you have to work with , i can get you some stuff .

im not sure how much stronger the quaife dif makes it , youll have to see .

if you get grip that is

Benzine - 24/4/08 at 09:31 PM

quote:
well if you use the original stubby ,and the silicon adapters , some flared 50mm tube welded into a 5 inch tube would make a pretty good plenum .

if you can get me some dimensions , room that you have to work with , i can get you some stuff .

im not sure how much stronger the quaife dif makes it , youll have to see .

if you get grip that is

Ahh I see. The original plenum is a bit on the bulky side, looks like a football. Yeah I'll have to see about the diff. I wonder what the people who have huge BHP cossies do...

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
That is real nice.

What sort of performance are you hoping for?

Thanks! I'm hoping for a little more than I need ^__^

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Benzine]

adithorp - 24/4/08 at 10:14 PM

Is that a Rowbike?

adrian

Benzine - 24/4/08 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Is that a Rowbike?

adrian

Yeah

beppesignori - 24/4/08 at 10:23 PM

How much does that engine/gearbox combo weigh? It reminds me a bit of Jay Lenos tank engined hotrod...;-)

MartynV - 24/4/08 at 10:46 PM

That looks fantastic!

I have been planning to use the five cylinder version some time in the future so I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Martyn

alistairolsen - 24/4/08 at 11:29 PM

Big power cossies tend to run any of the other ford diffs. Granada scorpios had a 7.5 inch diff and the cossie ones had an lsd. theyre available up to 9 inch as far as I know.

How high is the engine compared to the pinto you took out? fit under the sme bonnet?

How far is your crank centre from the chassis base?

cheers

big_wasa - 25/4/08 at 05:39 AM

wow thats come on since I last saw it.

Guinness - 25/4/08 at 06:26 AM

Woah momma, that looks brilliant!

Imagine going from a life spent powering 7 kids, a dog, a wardrobe and a ton of safety gear around to being in an Indy. That engine is going to think it died and went to engine heaven!

Good luck with the rest of the project.

Mike

mookaloid - 25/4/08 at 07:02 AM

Very impressed - can't wait to see it GO

speedyxjs - 25/4/08 at 07:10 AM

Wow Nice to finally see it

ps you have u2u

Echidna - 25/4/08 at 07:34 AM

Nice seats!
How much have you paid for them?

02GF74 - 25/4/08 at 07:39 AM

j30fos - 25/4/08 at 07:51 AM

Makes my saab powered turbo look tiny

I'll be running 285 bhp with the cossie 7.5 diff.

Very nice!!!

Stuart_B - 25/4/08 at 07:52 AM

Looking very good ben, clean engine.

that is going to shift when it is done.

stuart

worX - 25/4/08 at 08:48 AM

Are you leaving the sump at that height?

Steve

les g - 25/4/08 at 09:00 AM

and i was always told volvo,s were for towing caravans
how big is his
lol
looks really good
les g

Benzine - 25/4/08 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by worX
Are you leaving the sump at that height?

I'll modify it at some point. It's no lower than my pinto was and with careful driving I never bashed it etc

nick205 - 25/4/08 at 09:08 AM

That looks SPANKING

Is it an all aloy engine/gearbox? If so then it can't weigh any more than the Pinto + cast Iron type 9.

suspension set-up, wheels and tryes are going to have to be spot on to transfer the power properly

chris_smith - 25/4/08 at 01:01 PM

absolutely superb will be some machine, one question though, what will you be doing with the pinto??

cheers
chris

Benzine - 25/4/08 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris_smith
absolutely superb will be some machine, one question though, what will you be doing with the pinto??

cheers
chris

I sold it on ebay

alistairolsen - 25/4/08 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

How high is the engine compared to the pinto you took out? fit under the sme bonnet?

cheers

Benzine - 25/4/08 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen

cheers

Compared to the pinto I don't know, i'm not using MK body panels but it's wouldn't fit under them. Crank centre i guess is a few inches above the chassis.

Volvorsport - 25/4/08 at 05:10 PM

i cant believe how many are suprised , its teh best cheapest engine youll find , 204hp on tap (3 litre NA) , with 80% of the full torque available from 2000 rpm

im glad to see my banging on its catching on .

Benzine - 25/4/08 at 09:07 PM

Here's the stubby part of the inlet plenum. The original plenum just about fits and that's huge so there's plenty of room to play with.

Volvorsport - 25/4/08 at 09:54 PM

since im not up the workshop , can you get me an overall length of the plenum ?

basically the length of the engine .

Benzine - 26/4/08 at 09:56 AM

The engine length is 62cm (excluding belts/pulleys) and the stubby plenum section is 53cm long

Volvorsport - 27/4/08 at 11:59 AM

somert like this ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater2/2007-01%20(Jan)/101_0140.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater2/2007-01%20(Jan)/101_0141.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater2/2007-01%20(Jan)/101_0142.JPG

Benzine - 27/4/08 at 12:44 PM

Awesome yeah, that would be perfect

Benzine - 28/4/08 at 09:24 AM

Pictures of the bodywork. I got an old Elan shell off ebay. I've done lots of fettling/trimming but overall it was a great fit to start with. I'm just wondering what to do about the roof. The driving position is really far back at the moment. Few options: 1. graft the roof section back a foot, 2. take off the roof completely and make my own (could be removable for summer)

At the moment the engine goes under the windscreen slightly, I really want to be able to lift the bonnet and see all of the engine One bonus of the extended nose section (compared to the MK) is that I have plenty of room now for a bigger radiator + intercooler.

Rear arches look a bit tight at the moment, I've still got to trim them some more + I'll be making my own wheel arches

Quick photoshop without the roof. Anyone got any ideas about what I could do?

[Edited on 28/4/08 by Benzine]

eccsmk - 28/4/08 at 09:44 AM

thats brilliant i like that

Stuart_B - 28/4/08 at 03:04 PM

that looks great.

Guinness - 28/4/08 at 03:24 PM

That's looking brilliant!

I'd not worry about the roof chop, or the rearward seating position.

That is going to be one mad street sleeper!

Mike

Volvorsport - 28/4/08 at 05:49 PM

flippineck .

just leave teh screen on , cut teh roof and b pillars off , so you mod and rejoin when you want .

will this need an sva ?

Benzine - 29/4/08 at 09:44 AM

quote:
will this need an sva ?

wouldn't have thought so? I've gone from fibreglass bodywork to...fibreglass body work I've only really modified the bulkhead, not the main structure of the chassis.

Stuart_B - 7/5/08 at 02:09 PM

so how is the mod been going ben?

an more pictures?

stuart

Benzine - 9/5/08 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart_B
so how is the mod been going ben?

an more pictures?

stuart

I'm in Australia at the moment so progress has pretty much halted Back near the end of the month ^__^

ettore bugatti - 3/6/08 at 08:13 PM

Perhaps this is an roof idea?

MK-Volvo Elan
MK-Volvo Elan

Benzine - 8/6/08 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for the idea ^__^ What I've decided to do now is take the roof off (done) and have a removable hardtop. I'm going to make a cunning frame round the bottom of the roof where I can interchange the full roof with a small aeroscreen. Got a general idea on how to do it but it's a fair way off yet I love driving with no windscreen too much to have a full-time roof.

Stuart_B - 23/6/08 at 07:57 PM

hi ben, how is your project going??

any more picture's

stuart

Benzine - 23/6/08 at 08:33 PM

hey stuart, I've got a fair bit done in the last few weeks but we're having the drive redone at the moment. It'll be done in the next couple of days so I'll be able to wheel the MK out for some pictures. I tried taking some in the garage but it's so cramped I couldn't get any decent pics.

Benzine - 26/6/08 at 04:34 PM

Update pics:

The MDF dash/cockpit is all for mock up etc. I've blanked up the old lights as I hated the look of them, I want something like an elise/TVR type thing. I've got all the mounting points sorted now so I'm going to take the bodyshell off the car and work on it seperately. I've still got to extend the bonnet obviously ^__^ All in all I'm happy how it's going. Still a lot to do though!

[Edited on 26/6/08 by Benzine]

Stuart_B - 26/6/08 at 04:57 PM

looking good.

love the number plate.

stuart

Benzine - 10/7/08 at 02:59 PM

I've now shortened the handbrake lever, done loads more bodywork stuff, got the clutch connected, brake lines connected.

I just need to work out the fuel system, all the sensors and connections for megasquirt etc. Also lots of piping/hosing for rad & intercooler.

alistairolsen - 10/7/08 at 03:52 PM

neeed pics!!!

awesome car

Benzine - 15/7/08 at 04:32 PM

Okay, I've done a fair amount of work this week on the car. Now I need to figure out my plumbing etc. I wont' be using a heater so I need to know which pipes I need and which I can blank off etc.

As I didn't have the donor car, I couldn't see how all these parts went together...

This plastic thing is on the side of the engine, I don't know what it even does, something to do with oil, breather type thing? ^__^

Water outlet (or is it an inlet? ) that the pipe in the next picture after this one connects to

Pipes pipes pipes. B is where is exits the water pump. If I'm not using a heater/header tank (new rad has cap on and large capacity) then can I just go from B (water pump) to C (radiator)

Fuel rail. I'm guessing A in fuel in, B is fuel return but what is C?

[Edited on 15/7/08 by Benzine]

matt_claydon - 19/7/08 at 11:46 AM

Picture 1 is the oil separator for the crankcase breathing system. B is a hose from the rocker cover, A is the vent which would connect (eventually) to the inlet, although mine is vented to free air. D is the drain back to the sump, not sure about C but it just goes into the block. C and D will need new rubber seals I expect.

The water stuff I can't help a lot with as mine has a turbo in place of those pipes. C would be the rad bottom hose I think.

You're right on the rail, C is a bleed valve if it's the same as mine - looks just like a tyre inflation valve. Ignore it.

Benzine - 19/7/08 at 11:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I can't see any kind of outlet from the rocker cover

"although mine is vented to free air" do you have an oil breather on that part like this:

matt_claydon - 19/7/08 at 11:59 AM

Will try to get a pic for you.

I haven't got one of those breather filters, never sure whether they are necessary or just bling!

Benzine - 19/7/08 at 12:03 PM

Cool. Thanks for the fuel pump info too

matt_claydon - 19/7/08 at 04:36 PM

Here's the pipe. After it goes under the spark plug cover it disappears vertically downwards into the rocker cover.

Volvo breather pipe
Volvo breather pipe

Benzine - 19/7/08 at 05:52 PM

Ahh, there's no such thing on my engine. Thanks anyway

matt_claydon - 24/7/08 at 04:59 PM

Just been working on mine and noticed that little hose connection in your second pic. Mine is open just as in your pic and nothing leaks in or out so I'd guess it's some kind of bleed nipple.

ATB,
Matt.

Volvorsport - 25/7/08 at 10:56 AM

that is teh oil breather/seperator , youd be advised to get a much bigger one externally and plumb it in to vent to atmosphere , windage is an issue in these engines , just replicate that but much bigger , vent to atmosphere from the top .

the water line (theres quite a few to choose from) to the back (heater hose) can be blocked off . the big pipe is lower rad pipe , the thermostat housing has teh upper rad pipe . i dont think the expansion tank comes from those pipes , but on the thermostat cover .

i might just edit that aswell !!

Benzine - 26/7/08 at 07:47 AM

Just noticed that there's another pipe coming from the water pump area, no idea what that does T_T

Stuart_B - 31/12/08 at 12:05 PM

any update's on the project, or have you stopped for christmas?

stuart

Benzine - 5/1/09 at 08:21 PM

Hi Stuart, since last time I posted on this project thread I've got the engine coolant system all rigged up, all the wiring done, fuel system done and it started. Recently I've got the exhaust system made so now it's a case of bodywork and mapping/fiddling with the engine. I'll try and get round to posting some pics soon

[Edited on 5/1/09 by Benzine]