Board logo

Is it time for an East Anglian gathering?
David Jenkins - 22/2/07 at 12:23 PM

(...and why am I the one kicking this off again? )

This time, maybe somewhere to the west of the region would be fair for those who live that way - Bury St Edmunds is easily accessible for many in Suffolk, Cambridge and many parts of mid- to North Essex; is there anyone around there who fancies nominating a decent place and time for a get-together?

Sunday mornings are good for getting the toy cars on the road, but are dependent on the weather. Otherwise an evening venue to get together and chat would be good.

Anyone?

cheers,
David

mad dad - 22/2/07 at 01:11 PM

sounds a great idea...i'm in Lowestoft and not sure if there are any other MK owners in this area??? certainly don't see any!!!

rjs - 22/2/07 at 01:47 PM

sounds a good idea to me . i,am in norwich & theres plenty of good pubs with large car parks round here .

Taz Surfleet - 22/2/07 at 02:17 PM

Bury would be good seems pretty central

[Edited on 22/2/07 by Taz Surfleet]

David Jenkins - 22/2/07 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Taz Surfleet
Bury would be good seems pretty central

[Edited on 22/2/07 by Taz Surfleet]

And there are decent roads leading to it from most directions...

Norwich is good, but it's a bit of a journey for the Essex and Cambridge folk.

[Edited on 22/2/07 by David Jenkins]

mad dad - 22/2/07 at 03:37 PM

what about Ipswich??? or can we meet at RAF Woodbridge that would be good - they do hire it out coz i have been there and done 1/4 mile runs when i had a scooby..................................

David Jenkins - 22/2/07 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad dad
what about Ipswich???

In the past year or so the meetings have tended to be rather Ipswich-oriented, so maybe it's time to be fair to the rest. (Mind you rusty nuts did set up a meeting near Duxford, and only 3 went - oops! ).

We can attract members from north Essex, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, probably south Norfolk as well, so it would be good and fair to move the venue around (and attend... )

I organised the last one in a nice little pub not too far from where I live - took some people 45 minutes to find it, and it was peeing down with rain. Took the edge off the gathering just a bit...
...which is why I suggested somewhere easy to find, not too far for everyone (or an equal distance, anyway).

Still looking for a Bury resident to suggest a venue...

r3nuf - 22/2/07 at 04:37 PM

David,

Pistonheads used to use the Flying Fortress on Mount Road, BSE. Not much atmosphere inside, but accommodating enough. It is very easy to find, also.

Or you could try The Gardeners Arms at Tostock, which is the current Pistonheads favourite. This is just off the A14 junction 47, or the A1088 which runs from Thetford to the A14.

Just a few ideas. I'd be up for either if these or any meet in this area.

HTH
Gary

rusty nuts - 22/2/07 at 05:57 PM

David how about somewhere near to Lakenheath area I'm sure Jon could suggest a pub? . Not too far from Bury?

dilley - 22/2/07 at 07:33 PM

how about the bull at barton mills, its right on 5ways roundabout (near mildenhall)and really easy to find from any direction.

[Edited on 22/2/07 by dilley]

rusty nuts - 22/2/07 at 08:06 PM

Can't get easier place to find than Barton Mills! sounds good to me

dilley - 22/2/07 at 08:12 PM

I wont even get my car warm!

It really is an easy place to find, anyone who says any different or cant find it has to buy the first round

flak monkey - 22/2/07 at 08:25 PM

When I finish uni, I was thinking of organising something more regular for the people in the norfolk/lincs people. Bury and Ipswich are a long drive for us up the top of EA

dilley - 22/2/07 at 08:26 PM

when? 2 weeks sunday?

David Jenkins - 22/2/07 at 08:47 PM

That's be 11th March. Sounds good - weather permitting.

If I bring the toy car I'll have to bring one of those inflatable cushions - I still haven't got my seats sorted.

Decent-sized car park? We tend to take up a fair bit of space on a good day.

David

P.S. Isn't there already a bunch of folks who meet in the Norfolk/Lincs area?

dilley - 22/2/07 at 08:57 PM

There should be plenty of room, if not we can all meet and relocate to a bigger carpark, I'll try and think of some more close by, I can allways get our local social club to open up just for us, Its in Herringswell about 4miles from Barton mills loads of parking.

David Jenkins - 23/2/07 at 09:03 AM

Don't worry - we haven't managed to fill a car park yet! The best we managed in Stratford St Mary was around 10 kit cars of several different makes, plus 6 or 7 tin-tops. A regular car park should be OK.

David

rusty nuts - 23/2/07 at 08:03 PM

Will have to be in tin top , haven't had time to sort out injection yet.

piddy - 23/2/07 at 08:17 PM

shame I would like to join you. (only half hour up the road) but I cant make that Sunday.
Maybe next time.

David Jenkins - 23/2/07 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Will have to be in tin top , haven't had time to sort out injection yet.

And I was going to shine the back of the car specially for you!

dilley - 23/2/07 at 11:48 PM

or saturday, or any time thats convenient for everyone.

rusty nuts - 24/2/07 at 08:13 AM

Got a new pair of sun glasses to try out David! that should stop the glare

David Jenkins - 24/2/07 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dilley
or saturday, or any time thats convenient for everyone.

Probably best to fix the date and time, rather than open it up to negotiation! You'll get 57 different options from 50 different people, 2/3rds of whom won't turn up anyway!

I suggest that we stick with your original idea - The Bull at Barton Mills, at just before 12:00, on 11th March.

Sound reasonable?

dilley - 24/2/07 at 09:58 AM

sounds good to me, a list of people maybe?

rusty nuts - 24/2/07 at 01:23 PM

Should be there!

mad dad - 24/2/07 at 08:36 PM

sounds great but have sent you a u2u dilley as for personal reasons i can''t make it...also 1 or 2 car probs at mo if things change will come down in tin top....

dilley - 26/2/07 at 07:55 PM

The list so far......

Me,myself and I,
Rusty Nuts
David Jenkins
Indybird and his brother(possibly)
Jon Beedle

[Edited on 27/2/07 by dilley]

jonbeedle - 27/2/07 at 06:49 AM

I'm there guys, sorry to jump in so late. It would be rude not to turn up to one so near to me, even though I have a dinner date for the in laws Birthday, I'm sure she'll not miss me for an hour!

David Jenkins - 28/2/07 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Got a new pair of sun glasses to try out David! that should stop the glare

Make sure you bring those glasses - I spent some time today getting it REALLY shiny!

rusty nuts - 28/2/07 at 06:02 PM

I'm coming in the tin top so don't need to worry about the glasses as I won' be able to keep up with you!

tractorboy - 2/3/07 at 07:28 PM

hello guys, i may well join you weather permitting. be good to see some old friends again. scott

DaveFJ - 5/3/07 at 01:34 PM

I shall do my best to attend - just hope you're there Scott so I can have a closer look at how you fitted the bodywork! ( still struggling grrrrr )

[Edited on 5/3/07 by DaveFJ]

dilley - 5/3/07 at 01:47 PM

don't worry i've got an mk and the bonnet doesn't fit properly

tractorboy - 5/3/07 at 09:37 PM

bring your rose coloured spectacles and squint lots it looks just fine! scott

dilley - 5/3/07 at 09:59 PM

I dont care what the weather is going to do, Im driving

David Jenkins - 7/3/07 at 09:27 PM

Fingers crossed - weather forecast looks OK for Sunday...

wilkingj - 7/3/07 at 09:45 PM

Bugger I nearly missed this one. Should be there...

I'll have to wash the Viento, its got more mud on it than the LardRover after that trip out to Oakham on a frosty Saturday a while a go.

Sounds Good to me.

flak monkey - 7/3/07 at 09:51 PM

Bugger, not home yet. Will there be another one in a similar place and time next month? If so, might pop along and finally meet some of the locals

David Jenkins - 7/3/07 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Bugger I nearly missed this one. Should be there...

...and we chose a westerly venue specially for you and Rusty Nuts!

matt.c - 7/3/07 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Bugger, not home yet. Will there be another one in a similar place and time next month? If so, might pop along and finally meet some of the locals

Might come with you or take you with me

blockhead_rich - 8/3/07 at 06:08 PM

Can anyone give me some directions?
Rich

dilley - 8/3/07 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dilley
I wont even get my car warm!

It really is an easy place to find, anyone who says any different or cant find it has to buy the first round

IPA.....cheers

jonno - 9/3/07 at 10:26 PM

dont look i can make this one, Will be back on the road April so will make the next one.

rusty nuts - 9/3/07 at 10:33 PM

Rich , Barton mills is on the A11 near to Mildenhall Not a very large place so the Bull shouldn't be too hard to find? From Colchester direction I would have thought A12- A14 -A11?

David Jenkins - 9/3/07 at 10:58 PM

Cross-country is good - look at the map for direct routes to Bury St Edmunds, then a brief (1/4 mile) on the A14 and off to Mildenhall. That's the way I'm going on Sunday!

Much nicer than thrashing up the A12 & A14 - in my mind, the most stressful and boring roads in eastern England.

David

jonbeedle - 10/3/07 at 01:59 AM

Just round the corner for me. I don't think I'll even get the choke off!

David Jenkins - 10/3/07 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blockhead_rich
Can anyone give me some directions?
Rich

As I said earlier, I wouldn't go up the A12 & A14. Fortunately there's a nicer cross-country route - not as quick, but much more pleasant.

Take the A134 from Colchester, through Sudbury and on to Bury St Edmunds. When you get there, follow the signs for the A14 and take the option to go west (prob. signposted for Newmarket and/or Cambridge).
Up one slip road and off at the next (about 1/4 mile) then round the roundabout and follow the signs for Mildenhall (A1101).
When you get to the A11, turn left (south) and Barton Mills is on the right very shortly afterwards. The Olde Bull is on the main street (called 'The Street" )
Keep an eye out for me half-way between Sudbury and Bury, 'cos that's where I'll be joining this route...

HTH
David

[Edited on 10/3/07 by David Jenkins]

r3nuf - 10/3/07 at 12:55 PM

I am intending to roll up for this too.

If the weathers ok i will be in the velocity.

It would be good to meet up with you David, and others on route. What time do you think you might be at Bury? (11:30ish?)

Rich are you coming in the Velocity?

Might not be able to stay too late though, it looks like my mate has tickets for us to be in the audience during the filiming of Top Gear Red Nose day special, tomorrow night.

David Jenkins - 10/3/07 at 01:23 PM

The aim is to be there just before 12:00, and hang around and gossip for an hour or so.

907 - 10/3/07 at 05:38 PM

I can't make it this time chaps.

Have a good time

atb

Paul G

RazMan - 10/3/07 at 11:48 PM

oooooh I just saw this thread so I am now trying to convince swmbo to ride shotgun.
For those of you with GPS the full address is:
The Olde Bull Inn
The Street, Barton Mills, Mildenhall, Suffolk, IP28 6AA

Hopefully I will see you there

David Jenkins - 11/3/07 at 03:37 PM

But don't ask who was there - I'm hopeless at names!
Seven '7's, and Razman's wonderful beast, plus various others in tin-tops - a very good turnout for us. Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

David Jenkins - 11/3/07 at 03:37 PM

...and another Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

David Jenkins - 11/3/07 at 03:38 PM

Number 3 - my poor little car getting an inferiority complex next to Geoff's Viento...

[Edited on 11/3/07 by David Jenkins] Rescued attachment 3.jpg
Rescued attachment 3.jpg

David Jenkins - 11/3/07 at 03:39 PM

And number 4, with everyone gathered round the RazMobile...

[Edited on 11/3/07 by David Jenkins] Rescued attachment 4.jpg
Rescued attachment 4.jpg

RazMan - 11/3/07 at 05:32 PM

It was great to meet some of the avatars today - and a great excuse for another blast (second one this weekend!)

Looking at all the cars there, it was obvious that loads of care and time went into them and it was great to finally meet the guys who built them.
Here's to the next time

DaveFJ - 11/3/07 at 06:58 PM

Weather was great and a good turn out. I managed to get loads of 'upclose time' with Scotts Avon and filled with inspiration I came home and set to work

Guess what....?

The body now fits lovely and the rear wheels are sat right in the arches

Cheers for allowing me to scrutinise your car so closely Scott - it really paid off.

rear arch 2
rear arch 2

[Edited on 11/3/07 by DaveFJ]

[Edited on 11/3/07 by DaveFJ]

Trev D - 11/3/07 at 07:00 PM

Fanastic day excellent meeting up with you all roll on the next time

atb Trev

Danozeman - 11/3/07 at 07:23 PM

DAM AND BLAST!!! Why did i not know about this. I definatley would have been there!!! I have been that way today aswell!!

Il definatelty be there for the next one..

wilkingj - 11/3/07 at 08:29 PM

Excellent drive out, and spoilt for choice with hand pulled ales.
Then I committed the Cardinal Sin.. Watered my beer with lots of lemonade..
Driving the Viento, (YES.... Its a VIENTO not a Vortex) I dont like to have much beer.

Nice to put faces to names, and met some more locals from West of Cambridge.. Sorry forgot the names aready.

RazMan's Aeon is just Awesome... the build quality, and work put in would be something I would aspire to achieve. Well Done!.

Just an excellent lunchtime meeting. Nice to see you all.

We must do this more often this summer..

David Jenkins - 11/3/07 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Then I committed the Cardinal Sin.. Watered my beer with lots of lemonade..

Me too

quote:

Its a VIENTO not a Vortex

Oops! Text corrected...

Still a big beggar though! The car, that is, not... oh, I don't know though...

r3nuf - 12/3/07 at 12:58 PM

Yep, ditto previous comments.

Fab weather, fab drive and fab group of guys, gals and cars!

Sorry i had to leave so early.

Look forward to the next one.

Cheers Gary (and Luke)

PS. Watch out for Top Gear does Top of the Pops on friday night BBC2 @ 10.00 hrs. It should be quite amusing to watch. It includes Jez, Richard and James forming a band and playing at the end of the show.

David Jenkins - 12/3/07 at 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
DAM AND BLAST!!! Why did i not know about this. I definatley would have been there!!! I have been that way today aswell!!

Just pay attention at the back of the class...

jimbona2 - 12/3/07 at 04:27 PM

dont wana sound like everyone else but it was indeed a great afternoon and couldnt of asked for a better venue, good motorway to for the exit, god i wish mine was finished! cant wait.

any ideas on what top gear is playing at? depends where you read i fink. mite be going to sky or something coz something must be going on for jeremy's comments than just publicity..

jonbeedle - 12/3/07 at 06:39 PM

It was an hour or so well spent and the weather that I ordered was spot on!
It's a nice little unofficial club we have here. Must do it again soon.
Cheers
Jon

jonbeedle - 12/3/07 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
And number 4, with everyone gathered round the RazMobile...

[Edited on 11/3/07 by David Jenkins]

What's up Dave? My car not pretty enough?

David Jenkins - 12/3/07 at 07:04 PM

Sorry!

That's what happens when you arrive late...

Danozeman - 12/3/07 at 09:44 PM

quote:

Just pay attention at the back of the class...

I dont know how i missed it!!

blockhead_rich - 12/3/07 at 10:03 PM

Sorry I missed it too but you know how family life has to take priority over having fun in our big toys at times.

So when and where is the next gig?

tractorboy - 12/3/07 at 10:52 PM

same as above . thanks to all for a great little meet , some great cars .real works of skill and engineering .hope to see you all again soon. have to move east for the next one to give us cambridge and newmarket drivers a run out .cheers scott

dilley - 13/3/07 at 12:05 AM

monthly meet??

rusty nuts - 13/3/07 at 08:23 PM

Better organise it now , we all know how long it takes us to get it together .How about the same place?

flak monkey - 13/3/07 at 09:26 PM

Just to put you all off, if its monthly I should be able to make it next month as I am at home. As long as someone reminds me... *hint hint matt.c

David

matt.c - 13/3/07 at 10:08 PM

when, what, where

No worries flak boy, i will pick you up if you want me to?

[Edited on 13/3/07 by matt.c]