Board logo

beginner welding
rpter - 29/7/04 at 09:11 PM

I've decided to build myself a locost after finally getting some space.
My biggest problem though is i've never welded before, so is it difficult? and can it be picked up without going on courses?
Also, as i've never welded before i dont know what type i'd need, as far as i can see most ppl seem to use MIG welding, is this right?

Thanks

Roland

Viper - 29/7/04 at 09:17 PM

Do yourself a big favour.....go on a course.
Tim.

Mark Allanson - 29/7/04 at 09:41 PM

Do yourself a big favour.....go on a course.
Mark

tom_loughlin - 29/7/04 at 10:00 PM

hey,
i ws going to go down the same route as you last summer, but decided it would be far cheaper in the long run to order a pre made chassis so i can get to grips with the assembly side of things.
im thinking of buying a mig welder, and maybe build my next car from scratch.
do you have a welder at all, or are you thinking of buying one.
from what ive heard, the most major bit of building a car is the making the chassis.
good luck!!!!
tom

spunky - 29/7/04 at 10:08 PM

Roland,
Going on a course is preferable but much of a course is the science and theory behind welding. What would be just as beneficial is get yourself a decent MIG set and find a welder to spend a couple of hours with you, showing you how to set up for different types of weld and position.
Take lots of notes and you should be fine.
IMHO of course.

John

robinbastd - 29/7/04 at 10:15 PM

Do yourself a big favour and get Mark Allanson to teach you!!

Mark Allanson - 29/7/04 at 10:27 PM

Hint taken!! We will make a date

robinbastd - 29/7/04 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Hint taken!! We will make a date

I wasn't hinting,more of a gloat actually!! But you must finish your car first....so get a move on!

Aston - 29/7/04 at 11:53 PM

I bought a cheap (~$100) ARC welder a few years back and taught myself how to use it using the book "The Welder's Handbook". That welder was very difficult to use, and the welds it produced were ugly but very strong.

I recently got a MIG welding setup that cost me $300 at a yard sale, and it is extremely easy to use. You could probably figure it out yourself, just get some scrap and trial-and-error it until you get some strong, good looking welds. It shouldn't take you but a few days at the most to be pretty proficient with a MIG welder.

-Aston

rpter - 30/7/04 at 08:12 AM

i already have a MIG welder that my friend has said i can use, but he's never used it so he cant help.
i think i'll experiment with it for a while, then if it doesnt turn out i'll go on a course.
Just in case though, where can i get a pre-made chassis?

phelpsa - 30/7/04 at 08:30 AM

Cheapest way, get Dad to teach you.

Adam

James - 30/7/04 at 08:38 AM

Go on a course at a good college.

I learnt MIG, TIG, ARC, and GAS on mine and got certified in MIG and TIG (only to City and Guilds level- nothing that special but atleast it's something for the CV). I met a couple of other builders there, got the offer to build my chassis there and got access to a fantastic workshop and all the teachers were really into cars too. All in all a very positive experience for a mere £100 per term!

You know it makes sense!

James