Board logo

Engine fit problems/Chassis mods/suggestions
ERP - 4/9/05 at 11:04 PM

Not exactly a locost, but I'm using what's basically a locost chassis.

Really I measured this all before I started .... I knwe it was going to be tight :/ I just didn't have the bellhousing on the engine and didn't take into account the clutch fork.

I'm completly open to suggestions on this one....

I can possibly find an oil pan that will let me get the engine in, as is, but It'll leave me very cramped at the front and I'm not sure I have enough space for the waterpump and alternator pulleys. Another inch or so at the front would make it a lot less cramped, and if I can squeeze two then the existing pan will work.

Modifying the clutch fork seems like a good option if I can get 1 or 2 inches off it, I'm guessing the difference in pedal feel won't be significant.

Failing that I'm thinking that I can move the two vertical chassis members next to the bellhousing out by an inch or two. This cramps the footwells, but I figured I could move the pedal brackets back to compensate.

As far as I can tell this shouldn't affect things significantly structurally, but I'm not an engineer. And I'm looking for advice

Any other ideas????

Volvorsport - 4/9/05 at 11:07 PM

concentric slave cylinder , i believe the saab units are good - but means a hydraulic clutch

ERP - 5/9/05 at 04:33 PM

Certainly an option to consider. Looks like all I would need is to have an adapter machined for the Saab unit.

I think I'll pull the transmission and remove the clutch fork and make sure it fits with out it.

Thanks