Board logo

and you think you've got problems !
ayoungman - 23/1/06 at 01:53 PM

For some reason, the MOT bloke failed the Landrover ! Rescued attachment DSCF0139.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0139.JPG

ch1ll1 - 23/1/06 at 01:58 PM

Loads of body filler and a catapult !
that was a joke !

mookaloid - 23/1/06 at 02:21 PM

Nothing that can't be fixed by using the age old technique.....

Keep chucking money at the problem till it's fixed

derf - 23/1/06 at 02:25 PM

Wire brush it down to bare metal, then weld a thick plate over the affected area, drive through a muddy bog and try MOT again.

It looks like that is a critical area, with the suspension mount there and all, so I would take care of it in a fairly rapid fasion

Mr G - 23/1/06 at 02:47 PM

Stick an old autotrader in there and slap sum porridge on it... sorted

andyps - 23/1/06 at 02:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ch1ll1
Loads of body filler and a catapult !
that was a joke !

You should never joke about catapults.

To solve the problem, why not take the opportunity to convert to wishbones rather than that old leaf sprung live axle

iank - 23/1/06 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
Stick an old autotrader in there and slap sum porridge on it... sorted

Did I buy my first mini from you?

More seriously, I presume the hole is from the testers screwdriver, did he check the whole chassis or give up there and then? In my experience if you can dig a hole in a chassis that thick it's likely to be pretty bad in other places as well.
Time for a new chassis?

Agriv8 - 23/1/06 at 03:43 PM

Known Weak spot on Solihulls Finest.
Especially if the thing is used near lot of Cow Cr*p. find one that NOT !

If you after doing a slightly better job they used to supply a complete new out-rigger that you welded onto the chassis rail, as the rail looks ok. If you looking for ownership longer term get a Galvernised chassey as you will be platting plates on plates before long .

Agriv8

TPG - 23/1/06 at 04:17 PM

.....i've a cheap Pug in the for sale bit

Peteff - 23/1/06 at 04:52 PM

I'd be about £3 better off. I like them because you can get under there without too much trouble, just make sure the chassis is well chocked. We used to get them from a place in Matlock for a very good price, I think it was Farmer's Garage, years ago though.

oliwb - 23/1/06 at 05:12 PM

got a m8 that got his landy through MOT with a bit of cunning, bit of luck and some cardboard and waxoyl....wouldn't recomend it but it did work! Oli.

ch1ll1 - 23/1/06 at 09:21 PM

hope you have a good welder!
not the end of the world !
that can be sorted out !
if you can build a locost you can repair that !
just get the right size metal and a few hours it will be done
once you start it time will fly !
and b4 you know it it will of passed the mot .
same old story with them
looks are bad but get yourself on it and it will get done !

ayoungman - 24/1/06 at 09:44 AM

job done ! cut out all rust and welded on a new outrigger and spring hanger Rescued attachment DSCF0148.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0148.JPG

akumabito - 24/1/06 at 05:21 PM

Our old Landie has got a brand new chassis (homemade! HA!) it is galvanized, and then covered in Tectyl anti-corrosion coating. A bit overkill perhaps, as the chassis is very likely to outlive me now!