Board logo

Quieter Exhaust
shortie - 1/11/05 at 10:41 AM

My standard MK exhaust for the Indyblade runs at about 104db which obviously means that I can't run on alot of tracks as they often have a max 101db limit.

Ideally I would like to avoid stuffing something on the end so am wondering if anyone knows of any exhaust cans that could get down to around the 98-100db mark.

ta,
Rich.

andygtt - 1/11/05 at 12:13 PM

Std bike cans meet these noise requirements and are fairly efficient.

ChrisGamlin - 1/11/05 at 12:40 PM

I am not so sure about bike cans, a standard R1 can is fairly good for a bike can, yet its still marginal on anything around 101db or below. They are also baffled so can upset the fuelling a bit, although the power lost isnt much.

Personally I think the only surefire way of getting a BEC comfortably below 100db is with a big fat silencer (say 7" x 30" ) that is much bigger than a bike can could ever be, along with an airbox to quieten down the induction and possibly even lagging under the bonnet to further reduce noise eminating from the engine bay.

Chris

jimgiblett - 1/11/05 at 01:17 PM

Rich,

Youre welcome to try my R1 can. I have a spare one at the back of my garage IIRC together with an adaptor piece.

Cheers

Jim

shortie - 1/11/05 at 01:29 PM

That would be handy Jim! forgot you had a spare!

richard staniforth - 1/11/05 at 02:35 PM

Just did a trackday at Donington were I was black flagged due to noise, 105db.

This however was not the exhaust but the induction (no filter on).... I'm waiting for a newly designed airbox from MAC#1.

Remember driveby noise is measured on tracks which is slightly lower than static noise levels.

kevano - 1/11/05 at 06:26 PM

i know me too, such a bummer, got a standard R1 one for sale cheap if anyones interested. Rescued attachment r1 can.JPG
Rescued attachment r1 can.JPG

Jon Ison - 1/11/05 at 06:37 PM

I know its hard too do but on most BECs the exhaust is on the wrong side for drive by noise, if you can somehow exit/deflect too the opposite side you will be a bit better off, i know its been said otherwise but i had no probs with a standard blade can on trackdays.