Board logo

Mis-fire then cutting out ZX9R/E
gizz - 26/5/03 at 08:46 AM

I'm just about ready for SVA but I have a problem. Run the engine for 5-10 mins then pot one shuts down followed shortly by pot 2 then shortly after total cut out.

The carbs have been pro-cleaned.

I think I've cracked it but want some advice.

I have the bike fuel pump mounted at the engine end on its side with the std filter in front of it on it's side. There is no non-return valve in the pipe. The pump then feeds the carbs via a non-symetrical "y" pipe with the shortest pipe going to carbs 1-2 and the much longer section going to carbs 3-4.

The bike pump has a built in pressure regulator which stops pumping when max float chamber pressure is reached. I believe that fuel in the filter and pipe then migrates back towards the tank leaving an vacuum-air/ lock. When the pump restarts it takes a while for full fuel supply to return full pressure due to the lack of a non return valve. The longer section of "y" inlet pipe to 3-4 holds more fuel than 1-2. Carbs 1-2 become starved of fuel before 3-4 because of the far shorterpipe length.

Is this feasible or am I barking???

I'll rework the system and re-position the pump, but if anyone can suggest another cause please let me know. SVA a week on Thursday.

Jasper - 26/5/03 at 11:22 AM

Interesting reading - my ZX9 just cuts out after running for a few minutes, unless I keep the revs up then it's fine.

Think mine is a carb set-up problem though, as it only stop on tick-over.

My pump is at the tank end.

Good luck with the solution and the SVA, can't help you though as I know diddly about bike engines.