Board logo

latest pictures of my Xbow style car.
stuleah - 7/1/10 at 08:25 AM

Here are some of the latest pictures of my Xbow style car. Genuine advice welcome for the IVA test.

Humbug - 7/1/10 at 08:52 AM

Interesting-looking car, though personally IMHO from an aesthetic point of view it looks like it needs smaller wheels/bigger tyres?

Re IVA:

Are the rear lights close enough to the outside edges?

Where are the headlights?

Is there a foglight?

Are the red things on the back reflectors? If not, you will need some somewhere.

Presumably that is a donor number plate - it shouldn't be on there!

Sharp edges on the cycle wings?

Do the cycle wings cover the wheels to the required angles?

Any sharp edges on the exhaust, or are they protected by the cross beam thingies?

Cheers,

Simon

stuleah - 7/1/10 at 09:00 AM

Thanks for the reply Humbug.
The rear lights are close to the limit but just in, the headlights are dual projector (hi and low) these are the main thing i am concerned with.
i havnt fitted the fog light yet but i have got one ready also i have the reflector but they will stick on the mudguards when painted.
number plate is for show to see how it looks.
size of mudguards are ok but i think i will have to stick some rubber round the edges for iva.
no sharp edges on the exhaust.

I need some new tyres so i may fit some slightly bigger.

Cheers Stu

Mr Whippy - 7/1/10 at 09:55 AM

Although I personally don’t like the style, that is very impressive obviously you’ve put a lot of work into that. I think it’s a mistake to paint the back wheel and arch black (if that’s deliberate) as it makes them look even smaller especially seeing that the back is so high. Like the original, this might be better in a bright colour.

Apart from covering sharp edges and I can’t see a side repeater indicator lamp or rear red reflectors (just looks like a stop/tail lamp) I can’t see any fail areas from the photo’s. Hope there’s a mesh or something going round that exhaust too. Good work keep going, wish I’d such a big workshop

thunderace - 7/1/10 at 10:01 AM

looks very nice ,it may not be evryones cup of tea but there are some nice lines on the car i like a lot,great job and the rear looks like a face and looks very nice.

contaminated - 7/1/10 at 10:20 AM

Thumbs up from me. I think it looks the nuts.

Mr Whippy - 7/1/10 at 10:24 AM

you should put pictures of the build in you photo archive so we can see how you went about building it. How did you do the body panels, are they copy's of an original car or home made replicas?

[Edited on 7/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

matt_gsxr - 7/1/10 at 12:02 PM

Wow that looks like a lot of work. Nice one.

Centre mirror was a requirement of SVA, I assume it is still needed for IVA.

Some of your air vent holes are pretty large, if you can fit the 100mm ball into them (can't remember which) then you have to make sure no sharp edges in the hole. I had to put trim around the front air entry to bring it down to 99mm. It might not be 100mm, I can't remember.

I don't think it is possible to pass first time with a one-off like this, but don't be dis-heartened.

Matt

scootz - 7/1/10 at 12:11 PM

Very smart... great to see something a bit 'different'!

stuleah - 7/1/10 at 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the comments, quick reply to most of them,
the side repeaters are on the front silver panel edges you can just make them out behind the shock line, sharp edges will be covered even if i go overkill just to make sure, there will be mesh in the main air vents on the sides but the rest will be open.
I made all the panels myself, the whole car has been built by just looking at lots of photos so it will be quite a bit different to the original but will resemble it.

What are peoples opinions on colour? as i was originally thinking of doing it in metallic yellow and black with high lights of yellow on the wheels, i am hoping to put it into production when its done if i get enough enquiries which is why i have done it in a more neutral colour scheme for now.
here are a few pics to show how the tub progressed ready to mould

stuleah - 7/1/10 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
you should put pictures of the build in you photo archive so we can see how you went about building it.

started an archive now

Mr Whippy - 8/1/10 at 10:11 AM

cheers what a huge amount of work you put in

aitch - 8/1/10 at 01:25 PM

would really like to see way more details pics of construction chassis etc, especially the tub making process

aitch

aitch - 8/1/10 at 01:38 PM

also out of interest what weight has it come in at ?/

aitch

stuleah - 8/1/10 at 04:58 PM

have a look in photo archive i have started putting pics in there.
Dont know the weight yet but estimating between 500kg to 750kg, hopefully the lower

Gakes - 9/1/10 at 09:13 AM

WOW!!!

Great work. Looks like lots of hours spent sanding and mocking.

Do you have handbrakes fitted?

aitch - 10/1/10 at 11:44 AM

is the tub removeable for inspection of the chassis ??

aitch

russbost - 10/1/10 at 12:30 PM

Nice to see something that's not a seven or Cobra!
I think defo go for a bright colour scheme - good luck with the production side of things - just don't rely on it as a source of income - I'd be very hungry if I did!
Can't seewhy you should have any significant probs at IVA - probably easier than a 7 as less sharp edges!!

stuleah - 10/1/10 at 08:12 PM

again thanks for the commentsThe pictures are mainly of the the plug, once i have moulded the tub and finished the bits on the chassis then i will fit the handbrake and gearshift. My intention was to make the main tub not removable, will this be a problem for IVA.
Russ im not relying solely on it we (my father in law and myself) have a car body shop which will be working alongside.
being different from the lotus 7 type and cobra was one of the reasons for building it.

russbost - 10/1/10 at 09:59 PM

Stu
What engine is it - no one seems to have asked? I hope it's going to be nearer the 500kg mark than 700+ any idea what performance you're expecting?

russbost - 10/1/10 at 09:59 PM

Stu
What engine is it - no one seems to have asked? I hope it's going to be nearer the 500kg mark than 700+ any idea what performance you're expecting?

stuleah - 11/1/10 at 04:56 PM

The engine is 2 litre mondeo 130bhp (ish)
at present the engine will stay standard but hopefully when funds allow, then it will get tuned up a bit.
I dont know anything about tuning so when i get to that stage then i will look into options that i can go down.

Russ
just been looking at your website, must say i do like your car, like you said its nice to see something different out there.

[Edited on 11/1/10 by stuleah]

aitch - 12/1/10 at 10:47 AM

have to say im well impressed and its an inspiration as im looking t do something a little different too, constantly wavering between aluminium body and composite, thinking i will use a combination of both

aitch

stuleah - 12/1/10 at 11:35 PM

Nice to know i can inspire.

good luck with your project, keep us posted.

stuleah - 25/1/10 at 09:00 PM

some better quality pics

designer - 26/1/10 at 12:44 AM

Very nice machine

stuleah - 26/1/10 at 10:34 PM

thanks

pocket rocket - 27/1/10 at 09:42 PM

OMFG thats amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so much work has gone in to that you must be chuffed with the results

how hard is it to make the body work from scratch? im thinking VERY???

will it be iva'd ready for some of the 2010 shows?

stuleah - 27/1/10 at 10:45 PM

Fingers crossed it will be iva,d before stoneleigh.
either way i have got it booked in on a stand in hall 1 i just hope i can drive it to the show rather than trailer it.
it should be driveable by then it is just whether it will go through the iva.

As for doing the bodywork, yes it is hard,
fortunately its not the first set of bodywork i have done.
i did this (below) based on an MR2 which i was going to sell, the plan is to finish this car and if we can sell some maybe build another chassis with the bodywork from the MR2 project.

pocket rocket - 30/1/10 at 04:35 PM

random question mate, any chance you know a guy called james at Webbs Yamaha in eye???

stuleah - 2/2/10 at 05:59 PM

I know a few of them by sight but dont really know there names.

dazzx10r - 3/2/10 at 07:44 PM

What is the MR2 styled on? it looks a bit like a Saleen, like it!

stuleah - 3/2/10 at 07:57 PM

originally it was based on this
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1843/4601/4607300020_large.jpg
then it kind of went its own way and became a bit of a mix of supercars.
hopefully if thing work out with the valdris (xbow rep) then we will build a chassis and find a v6 or v8 and build a complete c ar.

stuleah - 3/2/10 at 08:04 PM

pic of the rear at the minute.
If we build our own chassis the rear wheels will be moved back a bit and possibly shorten the front.

stuleah - 15/3/10 at 07:17 PM

chassis now painted, soon be building it back up again.

scootz - 15/3/10 at 07:40 PM

Good work fella... !!!