Board logo

Footwell Battery
coozer - 31/7/07 at 06:04 PM

I'm putting my battery in the passenger footwell and am wondering about securing it and protecting it from victims feet.

What does the SVA man expect in the way of coverage of the battery?

Anyone got any pictures of an installment thats passed SVA???

Cheers,
Steve

darrens - 31/7/07 at 08:50 PM

would imagine so long as its secure should be fine. TVR chimaera's have their batt in the passanger footwell, hidden from view with a peice of carpet.

Wheels244 - 31/7/07 at 09:08 PM

Snap !!

I'm putting mine in the footwell as well.

I'm going to make a stainless box for it, with stainless retaining strap. Box will be bolted to the floor.

coozer - 31/7/07 at 09:13 PM

Cheers chaps.

bpgoa - 31/7/07 at 09:33 PM

Ahhh... been wondering what to do with that...

now i know

Agriv8 - 31/7/07 at 09:51 PM

Just covered mine with a cut of peice of ABS as the ECU was under there too.

More a case of hiding te spagettie.

regards

Agriv8

procomp - 1/8/07 at 07:07 AM

Hi making a container or covering for the battery in a conductive material is not a good idea. Due to the obvious posiible conductive problem.

Have had race cars pass sva whithout any covering just secured aslong as its a sealed or gel type. The other thing to remember is that if sticking a batter out of the way such as in the footwell it is best to make an inpection hath above to allow easy fitting and checking ect it saves an awfull lot of swearing later on .

cheers matt

coozer - 1/8/07 at 01:11 PM

Here's a pic of the battery where I wnat to put it. It fits very nicely.
Should I box it in or secure it with a strap? Rescued attachment Battery.JPG
Rescued attachment Battery.JPG

darrens - 2/8/07 at 07:39 AM

strap should be fine if anchored ok. Have seen many cars (production) with batteries strapped down.

David Jenkins - 2/8/07 at 07:46 AM

Worst-case scenario - you have a bad crash and the car's very battered. You and your passenger are immobile due to injuries - and the passenger's got battery acid leaking onto his/her feet. Not nice.

Never mind the SVA... I think I'd be happier if the battery was in some form of case. I've seen GRP boxes made for track cars; perhaps one of those would do (or could be made).

Not really trying to be negative, just examining all the options.

David

neilj37 - 2/8/07 at 01:05 PM

What about sticking it in something like this:

http://www.sm-engineering.co.uk/alloy_battery_box.php