Board logo

Brake Fluid Reservoir
spdpug98 - 30/1/09 at 09:03 AM

Does the brake fluid reservoir need to be secured with a metal strap or is a cable tie OK

I ran my race car for years with the reservoir secured with a cable tie but not sure what SVA/IVA man will say

britishtrident - 30/1/09 at 09:13 AM

A couple of long bolts & spacer tubes with metal bridge over the top would be better.

The reservoir should be properly restrained in the event of a crash , this is a fire safety issue brake fluid splashing on a red hot exhaust will cause a very hot fire --- just how big a fire risk brake is wasn't realised until a few years ago which why on the most recent tin top designs the fluid reservoir tends to be a bit better protected.

nitram38 - 30/1/09 at 09:16 AM

I would say, as long as it is secure.
If a cable tie will burn, then so would a plastic resevoir......
If you are worried, cut a hole in a plate so that the resevoir is pushed in upto the flange line, then put a tie over that.

[Edited on 30/1/2009 by nitram38]

Mr Whippy - 30/1/09 at 09:34 AM

Buy a large jubilee clip and bend it round the bottle before tightening it up

coozer - 30/1/09 at 09:46 AM

That looks just like mine. I used a big thick cable tie. Passed no problem.

Steve

pewe - 30/1/09 at 11:12 AM

Looks the same as mine. Run a long thin bolt up through the rear of the base-plate and long/tall enough to go into the slot at the back of the cylinder. No arguments or discussions then.
Cheers, Pewe

Davey D - 30/1/09 at 11:34 AM

I Made a foam lined strap for mine, and bolted it to the bulkhead

Pdlewis - 30/1/09 at 12:26 PM

I did mine the same as abive bit of ali and some M5 bolts took a coulple of mins to make and handilty protects the resevor from the gear change cable

iank - 30/1/09 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
I Made a foam lined strap for mine, and bolted it to the bulkhead

Is that stainless or ally? Looks a nice neat job.

Davey D - 3/2/09 at 08:04 PM

i made it from ally. just found some flatbar at B&Q. measured up what size it needed to be, then bent it to shape holding it in my bench vise. The foam is the sticky back stuff i bought for going around where the bonnet sits

iank - 3/2/09 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
i made it from ally. just found some flatbar at B&Q. measured up what size it needed to be, then bent it to shape holding it in my bench vise. The foam is the sticky back stuff i bought for going around where the bonnet sits

Thanks for that, it's the easiest way I've seen for mounting that reservoir that looks good.